Seahorse propeller won't spin in neutral, acts like it is in gear?

Romad1967

Cadet
My 1978 Johnson Seahorse propeller won't spin in neutral. When the engine is running in neutral, the propeller spins like it is in gear. Any ideas??

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Seahorse propeller won't spin in neutral, acts like it is in gear?

make sure shift cables are moving the shift shaft this woukld be seen under the carberator did you hit any thing to beat up gears

Romad1967

Cadet

Thanks! Nope, didn't bang anything. The Command Control became hard to shift, won't go into neutral easily. Took it apart as best I could and lubed. Lubed cables. Changed lower unit lube. It was very slightly milky. After that, shifting from forward to neutral to reverse became easy. Started engine and noticed the prop was spinning slowly in neutral. Prop was free at top one-third of turn then very stiff.

I keep the boat at Lake Eufaula, Alabama. I take your advice and check the shift cables when I go there next week. Thanks again.

Romad1967

Cadet

Checked all cables and did some more lubing. Now, it will move through the shifts: forward - neutral (prop spins freely and quietly) - reverse But sticks in full reverse, can't move out of reverse. Any ideas???

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well, you have to disconnect the cable from the motor and see if you can hand shift the motor.

In other words, isolate the problem--controls or motor problem??

Romad1967

Cadet

Thanks F R, I did disconnect the cable, and I can push the shift lever through the gears. I thought maybe it needed a cable adjustment, but I didn't have time to work any further. The boat is at our place on Lake Eufaula, and I ran out of time.

Romad1967

Cadet

I assume this is a control problem, but how do I adjust the cables? Should I check the command center first? I can figure most things out, but this is my first attempt at control cables.