Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
See more
See less

1979 Johnson 35 hp

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 Johnson 35 hp

Have a chance to get this motor at a decent price. In my part of the world 30-40 hp motors with tillers are almost impossible to find. This one has everything I desire. Problem is low compression on the top cylinder. Assuming the worst case, what is involved in reringing this engine? Supposedly low hours, just stuck rings. The motor is three plus hours drive from me and I am just trying to get as much information as possible before I drive the distance.
    Thank you very much

Re: 1979 Johnson 35 hp

Three plus hours tells me the seller is pretty easy to deal with. Why don't you ask if you can do a seafoam treatment on it and then check the compression again? That way you know up front what your buying. If you like you could even do a deal with the seller before hand that if the compression is good here is the price, if not then this is the price. Rick.

Re: 1979 Johnson 35 hp

Really need compression numbers. "Low" compression is often the result of unrealistic expectations.