how to replace lower unit seal

mrimike

Seaman
i got a used lower unit and i think i need to replace the seal that sits around the prop shaft.. heres a pic..
is it an easy fix.. or do i need a special tool to remove it..
It looks like i could just pull out the piece after taking out the two bolts..
here s a pic.. help!

Attachments

• PIC-0159.jpg
    PIC-0159.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 0

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: how to replace lower unit seal

I would do a pressure test on the lower unit before pulling any seals. What makes you think it needs replacement?

MAS

mrimike

Seaman

well for one the oil was black colored and really really low.. and two it seemed like there was some around that seal.
if its easy enough then why not.. its already off the boat

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Being low in an issue, but did it have any sign of water intrusion? Water intrusion would cause the gear oil to turn milky in color. Black oil around the seal is likely unburned oil after combustion. I would still do a compression check before I replaced any seals...where do you stop if you start?

MAS

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

What engine is that? It looks like my old 35 I redid. If you insist on changing the seal I believe you remove that bearing carrier and then the seal with a seal puller. But i don't work on those newer engines so i could be off.

If the oil was low and black, that's not A terrible thing. I would change the oil and run it first to actually see if you have a problem as you might not. Especially if it's new to you, you dont know.