Adding Electric Start - 1984 Johnson 25 HP?

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there some kind of "kit" that can be purchased to add electric start to a 1984 Johnson 25 HP short shaft tiller? It's not that hard to start, but it sure would be nice to turn a key and go rather than standing up to pull and to be honest outboards of this vintage and HP are not, nor were they ever easy to start cold. I started thinking, I'm carrying the battery (for the trolling motor) so why not just get electric start?

Over time I've figured out the right prime/choke/pull sequence to start it in as few pulls as possible, but the old girl is cold blooded and in Canada last year when the night temps got to 35, she was a real pain to get running in the morning.

By "kit" I mean something that would give me the ability to add the electric start by myself, so I guess I'm looking for some way to get all the right parts and instructions in one go.

I'm sure a mechanic could order the right parts and do it for me, but I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't want to pay the kind of money that would cost. In addition to adding the starter (and I'm assuming there's an alternator involved as well?) and hooking up the wiring, there is the question of where does the ignition key switch go on a tiller model of this vintage? Is there a cutout for it on the flat panel down by the choke and stop button on the front of the outboard? Or does it need to be mounted elsewhere in the boat?

Grouse

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Adding Electric Start - 1984 Johnson 25 HP?

Does the "starter motor assembly" include everything necessary for the conversion?

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies.

Tash, the link doesn't really bring anything up, did it get cut off by chance?

I guess I have the same question as JS, does that assembly include everything?

Grouse

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

NO the kit # is 173964 $407.00 then you need battery cables, and ignition harness.

Attachments

• convert.jpg
    convert.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 11

tashasdaddy

you may be better off selling what you have, and buying what you need.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Looks like we got two threads going here. Anyhoo, once you get to the shop2.evinrude site click on the drop down box where it defaults to Evinrude. Then select OB Accessories. Follow the prompts till you get to the kit for your motor. It will show everything that is included. It will include everything you need and should include instructions with the kit.

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I see it now. Looks like I'd be signing up to about $425 to add it at this point.

That's a pretty tough one to swallow for a 1984. I was hoping it'd come in around half of that to make it worthwhile.

Considering a used 4 stroke 25 can be bought for around $1500, it's tough to justify putting that much money into an 1984, I think. Oh well, better hit the gym and bulk up so I can pull that ripcord for a few more years.

Grouse

tashasdaddy

yeh, you can buy a lot of bait and gas, for that $$, find a teenager that likes to fish. there is you automatic starter.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

when you consider the cost of feeding a teenager the electric start will be cheaper, more dependable, and talk back less. but not nearly as much fun.

tashasdaddy

i mean a neighbor kid, or grand kid. every time i go fishing, i take one of the neighbors kids. their only exposure to it. they all love it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Might be worth poking around the local marinas - if they're even open this time of year, and see what they have in the back room or basement. Might be able to find a blown 1980s era 20-35 with the parts you need for less than the kit itself... With the way the economy is the marina guys might be willing to deal just to get some cash coming in.
- Scott

jasper60103

Commander

I have an '81 25hp. When I get tired of yanking the cord, I would sell or swap it for something else. Cost too much to add a starter.

coolguy147

Commander

yeh, you can buy a lot of bait and gas, for that $$, find a teenager that likes to fish. there is you automatic starter.

lol a teenage likes fishing... a big strong sexy guy sounds right! u know what it sounds like me:D