1962 Johnson 28hp

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 1962 Johnson 28hp

OK, I researched it a bit, and what FR and Jay were trying to tell me makes more sense now.

My '62 28hp steering bracket was used on the 40hp '71-76 models. And the pic below shows a blow-up of the optional tiller arm assembly. Also, I included the parts list. So, if I can find a tiller handle from a 40hp '71-76 model year, I should be set. thanks again.
jasper

edit: sorry, the parts list was not viewable.

Attachments

• tiller.arm.jpg
    tiller.arm.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 0
  • parts_list.jpg
    parts_list.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Many of the motors from the late fifties, sixties and early seventies share quite a few parts.

There was an evolution of motors that began in about 1956, and to a lesser degree even before then, that resulted in many similar models over about a twenty year period. The 30 and 35 hp models evolved into two different types of 35 hp motors - those with the "normal" midsection, and these with the "fat" midsection, which were commonly called "super quiet." The super quiet models had many differences, but a few things remained interchangeable. These motors also evolved into the fat midsection 40hp models that were so popular all through the sixties.

Where the most commonality of parts remained, was in the motors that did not have the fat midsection. In this case, the evolution was from a 25hp, to a 30hp, to a 35hp, to your 28hp model, to the later 33hp, and finally to a 40hp. I believe, however, that 40hp version has a larger displacement powerhead.

My point in bringing all of this up, is that there are parts for many of the other motors, that will fit yours. The earlier 25hp and 30hp models will have less commonality, but by the time you get to the '57 35hp, there are quite a few parts that are interchangeable.

One item that hits me right away is the electric starter. You should be able to use one off of any of these motors from about the '57 through the 40hp that you have been looking at. That said, the very old starters are two brush starters, rather than the four brush item that was used later on. You can the difference by the length of the starter, and by how many large screw heads you count on the side of the starter - two for a two brush, four for a four brush.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There are a ton of motors that use that tiller from the mid '50s right up through mid '70s. Even the V-4s use it. And the "Super Quiet" 35 and 40hp motors too. This has been a long thread and I don't remember...did I suggest posting a free want ad on the Antique Outboard Motors site?
http://www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

jasper60103

Commander

Yea, this is very interesting stuff.
I just spoke with a guy with a '62 40hp willing to sell cheap for parts.
It's got a working starter and probably some other stuff I could use.
Its very tempting.

My parts catalog hasn't arrived yet, but maybe you may know.
Is the gearcase assembly the same between the '62 Johnson 28hp and
'62 Evinrude 40hp?

Thanks again guys.
jasper

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Nope, different gearcases.

jasper60103

Commander

Thanks, F_R.
I really didn't need another motor in the garage anyway.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

There are a lot of other things on that motor that won't fit your 28hp. The powerhead is different, as is the midsection, waterpump, gearcase, carburetor and a few other things that I am probably forgetting. One of the main differences between the two motor types, is that the superquiet models have a different cooling system, which makes use of two water tubes inside of the midsection. These motors also have thermostats, which your motor does not.

Parts that would be interchangeable are the tiller, maybe the steering bracket & transom clamp assemblies, the electric and recoil starter assemblies, the coils, condensors, points, plug wires, vacuum cutout switch, fuel pump, possibly the hood (although it would have different trim and decals), solenoid/rectifier mounting box, and a few other things - once again stuff that I am forgetting.

jasper60103

Commander

Thanks, Jay.

From that list , seems the only thing that could make it worth while is the electric starter. I can buy the whole motor for $75, but then I'm stuck with another motor. Probably still not a bad deal, but I'm thinking I should address some other priorities first. I haven't seen my motor run yet.

jasper

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Getting it to run first would probably be a good idea. Where are you located? Do you still have water? Ours is pretty much ice up here now :(

I just looked up the original listings and its a heavy engine. Only 4 lbs lighter than the much larger 40hp and way heavier than the 18. Strange.

Attachments

• 1962 Johnson 18,28,40.jpg
    1962 Johnson 18,28,40.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 0

jasper60103

Commander

Steve,
I'm in Minnesota. Its cold and folks are starting ice fish.

Yea , I agree. Get her running good then accessorize later. Part motors show up all the time on craigs. I may get lucky and find a more compatible motor later.

thanks for the info.
jasper