175 Evinrude ficht motor, ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridnlow

Seaman
Hi all, just wanted to get some feedback, ready several post on the fitch motors. I am looking to purchase a 2000 175 fitch motor with 200 hours on it with controls etc for $1500.00 , compression is supposed to be good and the engine run great. It is not on a current boat but at a marina. Do these have any other know problems with the lower end etc? Also is there any preventative maintence to ensure some good life time on the engine. I would hate to buy it and then it have no forward or reverse gear etc, if that was the issue are the other evinrude lower ends compatible to swap out? Thanks

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: 175 Evinrude fitch motor, ?????

Guys with more experience will hopefully chime in but the problems with the Ficht were ironed out in the later years (I believe 99 and onwards)

What jumped out at me was price. $1500 for a 2000 175 Evinrude. Seems cheap to me. If the motor is running, good compression, etc, I think its a great buy.

My friend has a 2001 200HP Ficht with no problems and around the similar hours. Only thing he was advised of was sticking with the Evinrude XD50 TD-W3 oil in it.

Last edited:

ridnlow

Seaman

I spoke with a tech at the marina, he said it was a 98/99 motor, but had a complete 2000 powerhead etc installed coolant system etc. He was unsure of the hours but new the updated powerhead etc was put on, and of course new of the bad history with the ficht motors. So I am thinking its a good deal, or so I hope.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 175 Evinrude ficht motor, ?????

The problem Fichts were made by OMC through the 1999 model year. These problems were the 60-degree engines, like the one you are interested in. (not on the larger 90-degree blocks.) When Bombardier took over in 2000, the 2000 models were much improved and did not have problems. Some of the old OMC fichts worked well, many others failed-with no warranty recourse. As such, the 1999 and older engines don't have much resale value. You should contact an Evinrude dealer. Give them the serial number and see if all the OMC Service Mods were done on that engine. There were injector brackets, software and other updates issued for these OMC models.

ridnlow

Seaman

Hi, the motor is at a BRP dealer, he is the one that told me he knew the new powerhead etc were replaced with a 2000 unit. But I will get the serial number and do the research to get the nitty gritty. Thanks for everyones help and info.

jwbmarine

Seaman Apprentice

1500.00 for a ficht fuel inj eng is ridiculously,outragously cheap,..and they want to dump it..............will they give u at least a 6 mos warranty?.

ronnierooney

Recruit
I have been looking at a 25ft. angler with twin 2002 175 ficht engines. The mechanic states that the engines run good until they warm up. At this point both #4 cylinders start to miss. He suggest new computers. How is it possible that both engines miss on #4 at the same time. Sounds impossible. Any ideas?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I have been looking at a 25ft. angler with twin 2002 175 ficht engines. The mechanic states that the engines run good until they warm up. At this point both #4 cylinders start to miss. He suggest new computers. How is it possible that both engines miss on #4 at the same time. Sounds impossible. Any ideas?
Well you should start your own thread. That being said RUN RUN FAR AWAY FROM THOSE MOTORS

Status
Not open for further replies.