1980 Johnson 75 Stinger No Spark

AndyD71

Recruit
So it was my turn to use the boat sunday. My brother said that it idles great but has no power at full throttle. Not missing, just no power. So I was going to change the plugs to see if that helped. Then I got a call in the morning that the battery was dead and the engine was not charging. I should bring a battery with me. So I brought a battery and plugs. After the 1 hour drive to the boat, I proceeded to try and start it. Battery was dead. Changed the battery. Now it cranks great, but nothing. So I pull the plugs and they are soaking wet. Definately gas. So I change them and still nothing. I have no spark at all. So I think that on this engine, the stator charges the battery and the coils. But I also understand that there is a stop circuit. My questions are how do I check the stop circuit and how do I check the stator? Am I going in the right direction?
Thanks
Andy

KLINDWW

Seaman
Re: 1980 Johnson 75 Stinger No Spark

A great tip that I got on this forum was to unplug the big red plug and jumper out the starter. If you still don't have spark it is on the engine if you have spark then it would be something such as you kill switch or stop circuit. Worked great for me.

AndyD71

Recruit
Re: 1980 Johnson 75 Stinger No Spark

Thanks for the info Tashasdaddy. This will help alot. I'm going back to the boat tomorrow and will repost my results. Thanks again.