1964 johnson meteor electromatic

speedwheeler

Recruit
i just aquired a 1959 glaspar boat with a 1964 motor we put the motor in a garbage can full of water and it fired right up but it doesn't seem to be putting any water out of the hole just down from the bottom of the engine case we let it get warm hoping it was just the thermostat no opening right away i think it's been sitting for at least 5 years where do i start to get this thing running properly:cool:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 johnson meteor electromatic

Water should shoot out that hole even if the thermostat was jammed shut. The water pump sits right on top of the lower unit. Make sure that the water is four or five inches above the seam where the lower unit bolts up to the long exhaust housing.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what hp? i would replace the impeller and clean the carbs, if you are putting it into service.

speedwheeler

Recruit

it runs great but i couldn't find an impeller on this site for my boat it skips to the 70's on the 90 horse and where would the impeller be located on this old beast

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

1964 90hp Johnson.

Impeller = Part number 379769

Water pump kit complete = Part number 379776

Pump etc is located directly on top of the lower unit.

speedwheeler

Recruit

we pulled it all apart and the impeller looks great had it out in the water today and the motor is running really rough we added some seafoam to it and we'll be looking it all over but this thing sucked a bettery dead pretty quick where would i start in diagnosing the charging system i checked what fuses i could find and it has a power box with the selonoid and regulater in it

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Your pics are great but this post is almost four yrs old. Please start a new one. You may want to check the blue hi-lited section at the top of this forum.