1957 18 Hp Johnson -tiller Handle Timing

shipwreck

Petty Officer 1st Class
1957 18 Hp Johnson -tiller Handle Timing

I Just Got This One And Timing If Off At Mechanical Linkage .
The Gear And Shift Assembly Seem To Be In Time.

When Turned To Full Throttle The Cam Slip Off Pinion.
So I Adjusted It To Work Without Cam Slip Off The Pinion.

I Think There Is A Timing At The Gear And Pinion.
No The Shift Handle Itself , Where Read Start/shift / Full
Points To Start At Full Throttle.

But, The Cam And Roll Is Indexed At And Inch Away From The End Of The Cam Ont The Armature Plate.

There Are Two Marks Above Brass Cam Double Line And Single Line.
I Believe The Double Line At Full Throttle Mark And Single To Be Mot Or Start Point?
Is This Correct?
Does Any Know How To Time Correctly.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 18 Hp Johnson -tiller Handle Timing

Are you still fighting that same problem? Listen up--

With the twist grip turned toward the stop direction, the first tooth of the pinion half-gear should be set to engage the first groove in the other gear.

Then, when you turn it toward full throttle position, it should be impossible for it to go far enough to disengage the gear teeth.

If it does go far enough to disengage the gear teeth, there is something wrong with the linkage between there and the armature plate. It would only be guessing on our part to say where the linkage problem is. My guess is that the pin is missing from the bottom of the vertical shaft, or the vertical shaft is bent (twisted). You have to look for yourself to see if I guessed correctly.

shipwreck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nothing seem to be twisted linkage , nothing missing......but gear teeth at stop are 3 off.
i am going to correct,

Question on cam stopping point at armature plate.
When the tiller handle is twisted to stop, where should the brass Cam on armature plate end up? ......Is close to end of brass plate or dose go out past the brass cam plate that attached to bottom of armature plate?

Also how far should the it go when at make full throttle on that brass plate?...
To the end plate or to the making on armature plate above the Cam ?

Also, i just pick this motor up ... it came with the problem.
Dose someone know how teeth should be on half gear? in case some replaced with wrong one.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is only one gear to pick from.

Does this picture answer your question?

Attachments

• THROTTLE.jpg
    THROTTLE.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Are you still fighting that same problem? Listen up--

Different guy I think F_R. And a slightly different issue.

"With the twist grip turned toward the stop direction, the first tooth of the pinion half-gear should be set to engage the first groove in the other gear.

Then, when you turn it toward full throttle position, it should be impossible for it to go far enough to disengage the gear teeth.

If it does go far enough to disengage the gear teeth, there is something wrong with the linkage between there and the armature plate. It would only be guessing on our part to say where the linkage problem is. My guess is that the pin is missing from the bottom of the vertical shaft, or the vertical shaft is bent (twisted). You have to look for yourself to see if I guessed correctly."

Right on the money though! :)

Shipwreck wrote:
"When Turned To Full Throttle The Cam Slip Off Pinion.
So I Adjusted It To Work Without Cam Slip Off The Pinion."

Sorry not following here. You mean the roller falls off the cam? Or was it that the bevel gears got misaligned?

"I Think There Is A Timing At The Gear And Pinion.
No The Shift Handle Itself , Where Read Start/shift / Full
Points To Start At Full Throttle."

You have the correct handle? White one with 3 narrow ridges and one wide ridge with the arrow? Make sure your tiller gears are aligned correctly. Wide tooth in the wide slot. Pretty self explanatory. Make sure the pins that hold the tiller gears to the shafts are not wobbled out and loose. Then the bevel gear alignment as F_R has explained.

"But, The Cam And Roll Is Indexed At And Inch Away From The End Of The Cam Ont The Armature Plate."

A wot? I don't really think the double marks mean anything. The only one that matters is the single scribe mark on the cam itself. That should be aligned with the roller at the moment when the throttle butterfly just begins to open. Basic link-n-sink procedure. Good luck with it!

Cheers...........Todd