1990 evinrude xp 150 hard to start and no power

basspro32

Cadet
1990 evinrude xp 150 bogs down under throttle and wont stay running

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have rebuilt all three carbs and replaced stator and power pack cause it quit firing had a problem with the advancement on the the timing plate due to it was froze up when the stator was leaking this black stuff runs and idle at thst house when i put it in the water it is hard to start and once it does start it is sluggest like it is starving for fuel the primer will get hard when the engine is off soon as i start the engine the primer bulb gose soft its getting fustrating if you know what may be causing this i would be so greatfull for your help.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 evinrude xp 150 hard to start and no power

Have you spark-checked the engine? Make sure it has strong fire at all 6 plugs. As you try to start and idle the engine, are the plugs wet with fuel or dry? Do all 6 plugs look the same? The fuel hose primer bulb should get hard when you squeeze it prior to starting and will soften up somewhat as the fuel pump sucks fuel through it. The engine will run on the garden hose easily with only 3-4 cylinders firing. There is no backpressure at the prop. When you put the boat into the water and the depth of the water creates engine exhaust backpressure, any fuel/spark issues will be magnified.

basspro32

Cadet

As its in gear in the water I have to keep priming the bulb or it will spit and sputter and die and the alarm will sound like there is a fuel restriction. I looked at the vro pump there is no fuel leak but is does have oil leaking from it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that tells me you 99% have a bad pump, pumping the bulb is forcing fuel. change it to the new OMS pump. is my suggestion.

basspro32

Cadet

Thank yall for your help I will let you know as soon as I have a chance to work on it and have the money school is about to start I have to get my kids ready for school.

basspro32

Cadet

Does anybody know were I can find inexpensive VRO pump cause the ones I been finding are around $300 to $350 range . Is there an aftermarket or rebuilt ones that are any good or do I need to stick with a factory one.