Now a Pre-Mixer. (Photos)

ssmac

Recruit
Re: Now a Pre-Mixer. (Photos)

thanks chris still trying to figure out hoe to ask for help

miker-gr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can somebody tell me what exactly the "pulse line" do???

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Lift pumps, VRO pumps and and OMS pumps are all driven by the movement of one of the pistons. This creates alternative vacuum and compression which can be used to move a membrane inside the fuel pump, driving the pump.

Some fuel pumps require an additional hose to handle the pulse, others are mounted directly to the intake manifold and get the pulse from a hole behind the pump.

miker-gr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Lift pumps, VRO pumps and and OMS pumps are all driven by the movement of one of the pistons. This creates alternative vacuum and compression which can be used to move a membrane inside the fuel pump, driving the pump.

Some fuel pumps require an additional hose to handle the pulse, others are mounted directly to the intake manifold and get the pulse from a hole behind the pump.

ezeke;)

jwbmarine

Seaman Apprentice

Dhadley??.............a carb kit,.fits a particular eng,...how is it,....that u fumble around w/the needle and seats...........in effect,they are prob the same for 70--250??

CATransplant

Admiral

Dhadley??.............a carb kit,.fits a particular eng,...how is it,....that u fumble around w/the needle and seats...........in effect,they are prob the same for 70--250??

Apparently not. Trust me...Mr. Hadley knows what he's talking about. No fumbling involved. Lso, pls try 2 wrt n nglsh, so evr1 cn rd.

ssmac

Recruit

hello ezeke. I wanted to say the information you provided me was perfect. I took the old VRO pump off and mounted the new pump directly on the block. Took about 1.5 hours. most of the time was spent looking for tools ect. Took the boat ut for a test run yesterday and it worked fine.

I looked at the pump and did not find anything unusual. The diaphrams looked great. Is there a way to test this pump. I have a hand operated vacuum pump I am going to try to see if it pump fuel and them try to pump oil. I may of had a bad hose but could'nt tell if they were bad. anyway if you have any tips on testing the old pump that would be great and again thanks for the infomation.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The VRO2 pump on your motor would now be around 18 years old and full use would be somewhat risky. However, it can be used as a premix pump at no cost and with very little risk since the engine will stop if the pump stops working in a premix use.

The kit to rebuild the gasoline side is readily available. There is no repair kit for the oil side or for the electronics.

http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/vropics/VROflowchart.JPG

The VRO2 Pump was and is more powerful than the conventional lift pump.

http://www.whalercentral.com/articles.php?article_id=15

akapolas

Cadet

This seems to be a really old post, I hope I get a response.

I have a 200HP Johnson outboard, and I removed the VRO tank, plugged the oil line, and disconnected the alarm wire. I pre-mixed the gas and started the engine. It smokes a lot, will not idle, and after a while an alarm beeps every other second.

Can anyone help me PLEASE....this weekend we're looking at close to 90 degree weather and need to get this fixed ASAP.

Thanks.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

This seems to be a really old post, I hope I get a response.

I have a 200HP Johnson outboard, and I removed the VRO tank, plugged the oil line, and disconnected the alarm wire. I pre-mixed the gas and started the engine. It smokes a lot, will not idle, and after a while an alarm beeps every other second.

Can anyone help me PLEASE....this weekend we're looking at close to 90 degree weather and need to get this fixed ASAP.

Thanks.

If you still get a beep then you did not disconnect the alarm correctly. I am not familiar with your motor but if you post it's model and year someone will be able to help you out.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

jwbmarine, please start a new thread, and clarify your question.

akapolas

Cadet

The engine is a 200HP Johnson Ocean Runner.

I traced the tan wire from the oil tank to the back of the engine and disconnected it. Is there another wire that leads to another alarm? I was reading up on this and came across a post that said there might be another wire from the back of the VRO???

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, when I pre-mixed the gas/oil, I filled up the tank with gas and then added the oil. Could it be that the oil is not mixed in with the gas yet and that's why it's smoking so much?

Thank you.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You should have had a set of wires from the oil tank that need to be disconnected.

You should also have a harness from the VRO or OMS pump to the main harness that needs to be disconnected; you may find the three or four wire amphenol plug for it tucked behind the relay box.

Make sure that you have no fuel or air leaks anywhere.

akapolas

Cadet

I think you're right, I never even looked for the wires from the VRO. So it's probobly a false alarm right? That's the first thing I'm doing when I get home.

I was also thinking the reason it's running so rich could be that there is some left over oil in the VRO pump in addition to the oil that mixed in the gas tank, and the fogging oil used to winterize the engine.

How long do you think I have to run the engine in order to burn all the extra oil?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I think you're right, I never even looked for the wires from the VRO. So it's probobly a false alarm right? That's the first thing I'm doing when I get home.

I was also thinking the reason it's running so rich could be that there is some left over oil in the VRO pump in addition to the oil that mixed in the gas tank, and the fogging oil used to winterize the engine.

How long do you think I have to run the engine in order to burn all the extra oil?

A good 2 minute WOT blast should sort it out.

akapolas

Cadet

Launched boat on Saturday, started engine, smoke everywhere. She staled a couple of times, I removed and cleaned oiled plugs and she would start again. Still smoking, I took her for a long run, ran very ruff until 5K rpm?s. At 5K rpm?s she was running and sounding great. Under 5K she ran very hard, vibrating a lot, a lot of smoke, plugs full of oil. Any ideas?

miker-gr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Too much smoke, means too much oil!
Are you sure about the litres you already had in your tank before you mixed oil?

akapolas

Cadet

I might have added an extra 30oz of oil to the 40 gallons.

Would an extra 30oz make the engine smoke so much and run so ruff?

miker-gr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if you can "translate" to metric units?
I thing the ratio is 2% oil

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Launched boat on Saturday, started engine, smoke everywhere. She staled a couple of times, I removed and cleaned oiled plugs and she would start again. Still smoking, I took her for a long run, ran very ruff until 5K rpm?s. At 5K rpm?s she was running and sounding great. Under 5K she ran very hard, vibrating a lot, a lot of smoke, plugs full of oil. Any ideas?

Try it with a portable tank mixed at the correct ratio. See if there is a difference.