1964 Johnson 90 HP not running right

llvlleeks

Cadet
I'm gonna start by saying this: I am by no mean an outboard mechanic and only have general knowledge of engines. Now that that's outta the way, I've recently aquired a 1964 Johnson Golden Meteor 90 HP. I gave it a tune up, new plugs, used (but good) distributor cap + wires, points, and rotor button. I cleaned the carbs and fuel lines. I have anywhere from 88-90 psi on all 4 cylinders when cold. I fired it up and it ran like crap. I found out that the fuel adjustment knobs were all crazy, some were out 1/4 turn and others were out 2 turns. I found out the 'normal' is 1 to 1.5 turns out so I started there. It ran a little better but it still spits and sputters at times. Once it warms up it seems to run much worse. I decided to try a warm compression test 60-72psi, quite a bit lower. I've heard that the compression should be well over 100psi. Those pressures were taken with only about 3-4 turns on the engine, it was building higher slowly. I took it out to test it out under load and it spits and sputters every now and again. It seems to have lots of power starting on the bottom, but then it gets to a point where it bogs down, then once it gets past that, it picks right back up and has power, until the very top then it starts to miss a little. We have great spark in all plugs, we have fuel from the fuel pump, no fuel filter but the sediment bowl is clean, no noticible difference if I pump the bulb while its running. I occasionally foul plugs because I'm not sure how to adjust the fuel correctly, I know that I don't want to run it too lean and burn up what little compression I have left. I checked the timing at idle and it's dead on. I'm not sure what else to check. Is the compression causing this? Is the fuel mix causing this? Both? Any pointers or suggestions? I'll take what I can get.

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1964 Johnson 90 HP not running right

Low compression could be from poor or stuck rings. You might want to try using some Seafoam, in it.
Take a can of Seafoam, add half the can to a gallon of gas, run the motor, keep in mind do it outdoors, with lots of ventalation, if your gona run it on muffs.
Sounds like fuel problems, on the bog, and sputter. Try rebuilding the carbs, seems like its due, ie with carb kits, not just cleaning them.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

due carb rebuild, and link n sinc.

llvlleeks

Cadet

Thanks guys for your advice. I'm not sure how to do a link and sync. I searched it on the forum here and didn't come up with much useful information. I suppose it might be wise of me to take it down to the marina here. I just didn't want to drop a whole lot of money into it, but I'd like it running by the 4th. Are you able to provide me with instructions or literature on how to perform a link and sync?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

go to a public librairy, see what they have for repairing outboard motors. There was a good manual, I can't recall the name but it wasn't cylmers nor was it seloc. It had a good section with picures how to check for full timing advance and carb to spark sync.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That engine has quite a different carb, as there are 4 carb's in a single casting, or body. I am surprised you got it apart without distroying any gaskets. Parts for this carb could be hard to find, and probably exspensive if you do. You could look at it this way, think of the money your saving with this $4.00 gas. That was one thirsty engine. Try this when you adjust the carb needles. Set the engine speed at 1500 RPM. Starting at the top needle set the needle where the engine runs the smoothest, and fastest. Drop the rpm back to 1500, and go to the next needle. Do this clear down the line. Trying to set those needles at idle speed will just drive you nuts. When finished with the needles, put the knobs back on to the adjusting bar at the middle position. With the engine at idle, move the adjusting bar up, and down for best idle. It will probably be best back at the middle position.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

By the way! If that carb is leaking gas when you pump the bulb, you have a leaking needle, and seat at the float. If you do, let me know, I have a used set of 4 that were OK when I took them out. I also have a spare float guage that is need to set the float height. You can have them for the postage. I have'nt had a large run on 90 carbs' lately.

llvlleeks

Cadet

Well I got a carb kit for 75 bucks, looks antique, lol. Rebuilt the carbs, but now I need a float gauge. There was some more trash in the carbs so I flushed the lines as best as I could. The carb kit came with a screen to go in the top of the sediment bowl. It didn't have one before. I'm just guessing by how much gas gets drained out of the bowl. We filled a bowl to about 3/4 off the carbs and then we drain it til we get close to that amount. It's a rediculous process but it's all I can do for now. I'm going to go try R.Johnson's advice now, and I'll take those off of your hands, where should I send the money and how much you figure? PM me and let me know and again guys, thanks so much for the knowledge. This is a wonderful place to come to learn. I just can't wait to get her out again! My wife is calling her Lucy... I just know one thing, this engine is definately part woman.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You can have the needle & seats, plus float guage for the postage, just tell me where to send them. Small town living, the post office is just around the corner.

llvlleeks

Cadet

More issues have risen... The starter teeth are almost round and no longer grip the upper gear enough to start the engine. I guess I coul put a pull rope on the flywheel, lol, yea right. I looked around and no one sells these, they are no longer manufactured from my sources. I found a generator repair shop that is able to buy me the new armature for 130 bucks. Thats expensive. I'm just not sure how much more money I want to put into this darn thing.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

As you are starting to find, that engine can be a real money pit. It has an electric shift your not yet sure about. It has a alternator charging system with a voltage regulator, and the diodes mounted in a box on the transom, parts are exspensive, and probably hard to find, and they are needed, as this is an electric shift engine. I don't remember if you can change the ring gear on the flywheel, or not. Also, as I pointed out, that engine really drinks gas. If you decide to go on with this project, let me know about the needle, and seats.

llvlleeks

Cadet

Mr Johnson, I thank you so much for your generosity but I think I'm going to just sell the engine, boat, and trailer. We're just gonna break down and get a jet boat for a few thousand. Thanks to everyone for the vast knowledgable responses. This is a great community to be a part of.