Johnson 140 4 stroke oil dripping thru exhaust

Norm C

Recruit
Noticed oil sheen when I would power up near the end of Sunday's outing so back to the trailer. Washing it down saw clean oil dripping from prop exhaust and down leg. Checked the dip stick and oil level low and clean looking. With engine off, stops dripping. Suggestions as to the source? Thanks.

iwombat

Captain
Re: Johnson 140 4 stroke oil dripping thru exhaust

Well, you've probably got oil getting into your top end. Only a couple of ways for that to happen - past the rings, or down the valve guides. Could also be just a leak ending up in the exhaust. I'm not exactly sure how that would happen though. Check your plugs for soot and check compression. Is it smoking a lot while running?

Norm C

Recruit

Forgot to mention - 2004 year engine.

No smoke, running good except for the oil dripping even when flushing it.

iwombat

Captain

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how an oil leak would make its way to the exhaust chamber.

Ima go look at some diagrams now.

Edit: Ok I'm not real familiar with that motor, but it looks a likely candidate is the exhaust adapter. There's one side of the exhaust chamber there that isn't jacketed by water and is about the only place I can find where an oil leak gets to the exhaust w/o going through the combustion chamber.

Norm C

Recruit

Was just told that there are two O rings on the oil cooler that the oil filter attatches to. One blows oil goes down the exhaust, the other blows water goes into oil. Sound like a possibility?
Norm

iwombat

Captain

Sounds reasonable. I can't seem to find a breakdown of the oil cooler though.

Edit: After some scouring . . . It appears that the oil cooler can build up salt causing the engine to lose oil. However that won't result in it dumping oil out the prop.

"before you scare everyone about oil cooler on df 140 omc/suzuki, if oil cooler leaks it will not run out the prop, the sump will show signs of water or leak may be external via oring . The only way to the prop is a leaky base gasket or oring in offset driven gear under powerhead which is very unlikly."

So, I stand by my first statement about the gasket (either exhaust adaptor or oil sump) being the likely culprit unless more information comes to light about the oil cooler.

Norm C

Recruit

Unfortunately it did not look like it was o ring problems on the oil cooler. It was simple to pull it and no oil in the inner water section, a fair amount of salt crud but no oil. I appear to be stuck until my book arrives - thanks for your help.

BILL47

Cadet

I have a 2005 Johnson 140 hp 4 stroke that is leaking a lot of engine oil and I believe it's coming out exhaust wash. I haven't checked the oil cooler yet. Did you ever resolve your leak?

Jim Skinner

Recruit

I have a 2004 140 4 stroke with less than 100 hours. It should be painted yellow. From the dealer it had suging problems, hesitation to go. The lost reverse and only had max throttle. Now it has developed the oil leak. I am told it is a broken bolt that is under the valve cover that holds the head(?). I'm not a mechanic. My insurance does not cover broken bolts. So I will pay about $600. I am going to contact BRP. This is ridulous. Oy yes, I have been towed in 3 of the lat 4 times out in the boat due to engine problems.

SparkieBoat

Captain

wow...looks like if I am getting a 4-stroke it will be a yammy.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

old thread......the 4 stroke Johnsons were Suzuki's.

jeepjohn4wd

Recruit

I am new to the site and have a new problem with my 2003 Johnson 4 stroke leaking oil out of a hole under the cavitation plate (right above the propeller). I ran the engines for about 6 hours last weekend and ended up with the "no oil" alarm when I hit the throttles to get the boat up on top.

I just bought the boat and was told that the water pumps were recently replaced. Are there any seals that can be damaged internally if the lower unit is not reinstalled correctly? I have had the outer couling off and cannot see any oil leaking, it is all internal.

cr2k

Captain

Welcome to iBoats. You should post a new thread here and not "hi jack" someone elses. It gets kind of confusing down the line.

seapronc

Recruit

My 2004 Johnson 140 (Suzuki) was showing a light oil/gas slick when idling for the past 2 years, oil level was not dropping. Idle was not as smooth as when new, motor has 45 hrs, so I had injectors cleaned. Oil slick problem was worse this spring and then the low oil warning came on with the oil level low. Based on this post and identical problems with Johnson posts I had dealer check oil cooler. They removed cooler, pressurized it with compressed air, and placed it in a water bucket. It was leaking, new oil cooler was installed and so far no more problems with oil loss or oil slick. I had noticed a light film inside prop before, and would see a slick appear around the water pump discharge previously. Sounds like Suzuki has a design problem with the cooler on an otherwise good motor.

cbath04

Recruit

Noticed oil sheen when I would power up near the end of Sunday's outing so back to the trailer. Washing it down saw clean oil dripping from prop exhaust and down leg. Checked the dip stick and oil level low and clean looking. With engine off, stops dripping. Suggestions as to the source? Thanks.

Check under your oil filter, remove oil and filter then under the filter there is a mount or bracket for the oil cooler, remove mount as well. Oil in the 140 is water cooled. Under that bracket there is a o ring and I am willing to bet the pathway is plugged with salt. Check the o ring for damage if its ok grease it and re assemble everything. Let me know how u make out. Easy fix my friend.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Come on guys this thread started five years ago!!