Do all new 4 stroke outboard requre valve adjustments?

GrapeApe

Cadet
I was under the impression that the new 4 stroke outboards need valve inspections.

I have a 2004 115 EFI Suzuki made johnson and I just purchased a Suzuki service manual and it says nothing of valve adjustments, just your basic Oil, spark plugs, fuel filter, impeller ect..

Does that sound right?

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Do all new 4 stroke outboard requre valve adjustments?

not too sure about your Motor, but I would reckon a valve adjustment on a Yamaha would be beyond most home handymen.

GrapeApe

Cadet

Right, I would never do that myself but from what I can tell I never have to have it done based on the maintenance chart they provided.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The service manual for my '08 Suzy indicates valve check and adjustment is required. Are you looking at a "Service" manual or "Operators" manual. Big difference. Inspect at 20 hours and every 200 hours after that.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Wow, they still have manually adjusted valves on modern engines? My '71 VW van had those... I thought valves were hydraulic now and required no adjusting. I guess outboards have not caught up to auto's in that area then.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I'm also surprised that it wouldn't have hydraulic lifters. Shows what I (don't) know.