Johnson Colt question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson Colt question

I have acquired a Johnson Colt that was purchased new in the summer of 1987.

Model JCOCDR
    Serial b0108474
    Made in Belgium

It was a back up motor that was never needed. It has NEVER been started.

I have no manual but there is a confusing sticker on the top by the gas tank.
    It says fuel 100 oil 1.

This blows my old man mind. Every other engine I have ever owned is 50:1.

I have not checked to see if it will start after all of these years because I am confused by this sticker. The previous owner was not aware. He always assumed he would gas it with the tank he used for his main engine at 50:1 when the time came, which it never did.

Anyone know what's up with this? Any other things to look for in a 21 year old "new" motor?

I plan to power a canoe with it. It should do the trick if I figure all of this out.

Re: Johnson Colt question

The proper fuel mixture is 50-1. You should remove the 100-1 sticker to avoid further confusion. I would go ahead and replace the water pump impeller, after 20 years it would be foolish to rish a zero hours motor over a $20 part. I have a little colt that I run on an 18' grumman flat back canoe. It is an absoloutly wonderful motor for this application. Best of luck and let us know if you get it running
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is therefore not an act but a habit."
    ___ Aristotle
    For some people there's therapy, the rest of us have boats

Comment

Re: Johnson Colt question

100:1 was an OMC disaster. Run 50:1

Comment

Working...
      X