Remote Steering on a 15hp 4 stroke

blindlove

Cadet
Hi there I?m new to the forum and to boating in general. Hope you guys can help me out.

A few months ago I bought a Tracker V12 with a (new 2002) pull start Johnson 15hp 4 stroke. I live in Barbados and I keep the boat in the Bahamas. The next time I get to the Bahamas, I want to convert the boat to mechanical steering.

I?ll have to order all the supplies prior to my trip, so I?m trying to compile a parts list for this project. As I said this is all new to me so I?ll list what I think I?ll need and perhaps people can chime in with their opinions.

The parts I?m listing might not be my final choices but should give you an idea of what I?m thinking and my limited understanding of these things.

Steering system
http://boatstoreusa.com/productdeta...37_steering_system_(With_Wheel)&ProductID=780

Remote Control
Johnson Part 5036662 REMOTE CONTROL CONV. KIT
I hope this one will fit a 2002 model, it comes with a wire harness is this for electric start conversion?

Motor controls ? The Johnson one cost $276 these are much cheaper $110 and $187
http://www.iboats.com/Dual_Lever_Co...ategory--**********.967826751--view_id.243447

or

http://www.iboats.com/Side_Mount_Si....243446--**********.967826751--view_id.197589

Cables
I?m Clueless - Johnson or Teleflex

I?ll be putting in a ply floor with a small center console. I understand that you can?t bend steering cables too much but I was hoping to run the cables under the floor for a clean install. Does anyone sell an extension so the wheel can be mounted on the console while the rotary helm unit is below the floor?

Any advice that can be offered would be greatly appreciated

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Remote Steering on a 15hp 4 stroke

Belay that. I see you have the conversion kit on your list. Yes, the wiring harness is for electric start, etc., But it also has the kill wires in it.

blindlove

Cadet

Thanks,
Any input on cable selection and routing steering under the floor?

blindlove

Cadet

I might just go with the Johnson controler to avoid confusion. Will I require two control cables; one for shifting and one for throttle?

CATransplant

Admiral

Yup. Two cables. I'm afraid I can't answer your steering question, though.

blindlove

Cadet

I know I'm full of questions but here's another one:

If my motor is mounted in a transom cut-out, does that mean the bend to run the steering cable through the tilt tube will be to severe? Will I need a transom cable mount instead?

blindlove

Cadet

Well I?ve made some progress; I am now in procession of the remote conversion kit, cables and remote control.

I got this control unit:

http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... roldz3.jpg

BRP Part # 5006561

Problem is when I check the manual it indicates that that the body (casing) of the controller can only be mounted + or ? 30 degrees from horizontal. I don?t get it. The interface between the lever and the control box is a series of notches or splines and the lever mechanism allows 180 degrees of movement. Why can?t I mount the control box vertically and shoot my cables straight down under the sole? Isn?t it just a matter of aligning the lever and splines so that neutral is in the vertical position?

I don?t know if I?ve explained that very well, but it seems if the lever can be positioned on the splines to accommodate a total of 60 degrees of casing alignment. Why can?t I just mount the casing vertically (90 degrees) and position the lever to suit?

If I have to exit the console at -30 degrees, in a center console configuration, I?ll be forever stepping over the cables ? not clean. I want to go straight down, inside the console, and then start my bends under the sole. It?s a small boat; I want all cables, in the cockpit area, under the sole.

Any ideas / suggestions?