Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Lower Unit Lube Capacity Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit Lube Capacity Question

I did my first lower unit oil change yesterday. It was really easy, and I am now embarrassed that I paid to have the job done in the past.

After draining the oil I started pumping in the new oil. The lower unit took in a full quart, and I never saw oil ooze out the top hole. Since I ran out of oil, I replaced the drain plugs. I then poured the old oil back into the quart bottle that the new oil came in. The amount of old oil was approximately the same as the new oil. I checked my manual for lower unit oil capacity information and could not find anything.

Since I replaced approximately the same amount that I drained, do I need to worry about adding more oil? I think I will pick-up another quart of oil and pump until I see oil ooze out the top hole, but I would like knowledgeable opinions on this. Anyone know what the normal oil capacity is? My motor is a 1978 Johnson 140 hp V4.

Thanks

Re: Lower Unit Lube Capacity Question

Fill to it comes out the top hole.

Comment

Re: Lower Unit Lube Capacity Question

The listed capacity of your gearcase is 37.8 ounces. See page 2-6 of your factory service manual.

But as 4.0l says, with the motor in running position, the case is full when the oil runs out of the vent hole. Too much oil and you can damage a seal when the oil heats up.

Comment

Working...
      X