1977 Evinrude 115 Tilt Trim Wiring question

dvrdown33

Cadet
I have a 1977 115hp Evinrude Outboard with a tilt trim motor. I just bought this and the only thing wrong it the tt motor is bad. (more on this later)First off, my 3 wire motor has black, blue, and green that ends in a rectangular plug...what does this plug into??? What do these wires do? Is there a relay or contol box or something? What is the easiest way to make this thing work. I think I can rebuild the motor with a TR208 kit, but the wiring is confusuing me...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 Evinrude 115 Tilt Trim Wiring question

Welcome to iboats! This diagram should help, let me know if you have any more issues. Good luck.

Trim wiring.jpg

dvrdown33

Cadet

Very Helpful...Thanks very much. Stupid question though, what does the sending unit do? and is it necessary?

Can i just wire from the trim motor to the solenoid to the up down switch?

I was also wondering do I just need 1 solenoid? I saw another diagram that shows I need 2, one for the green wire, one for the blue wire?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm rebuilding a speed boat and it is bare, so I'm doing this blind.

Thanks again,

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

No such thing as a stupid question, only a question not asked. Thats why this forum is so great, so we can all learn from one another, I know i have learned alot from the great guys on here. There are 2 different types of trim motor set ups, 2 wire and 3 wire, and are very different. The 2 wire set up uses 2 solenoids that you spoke of, 1 for up and 1 for down. The 3 wire motor has 1 solenoid like in the pic provided, and it only controls the up function only. Then there are other variations of these, such as a 3 wire with dual solenoid, but that is getting off topic. The trim motor is usually a DC motor and it's direction is controlled by the direction of current flowing through it. Run it through one way and you go up, reverse it and you go down.

Two solenoids, very close to, if not exactly the same thing that starts your outboard and your automobile, are used to supply the current in the opposite directions.

Both are magnetically controlled "contactors".....very high current switches. When you put a small current through the control windings, it energizes the solenoid coil which pulls in the high current contacts.

When this happens, it is abrupt and you can normally hear and feel it (with your hand on the body). It may be silent, but usually not. If anything, silence would be an indication of friction in the circuit (inside the thing) not allowing the contactor to move freely.

If you would like examples of other set ups, 2 wire, 3 wire dual solenoid, etc... private me with your email address and I can send them to you, they are too large to post on here.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

"...what does the sending unit do? and is it necessary?"

The sending unit shown in my diagram controls the trim gauge at the helm so that the operator knows the relative position of the motor when under way.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I mailed you all pertinent wiring instructions as well as electrical troubleshooting tips and guidelines that I could think of. Hope you get it all sorted out.