Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Rebuilding a Tilt/Trim Motor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding a Tilt/Trim Motor

Hi all, 2nd boat, first post. 76 70hp Evinrude - tilt/motor not working anymore. I purchased a rebuild kit inc cap and brushes but she wont spin when connnected to the battery after the rebuild. Is there any tricks to rebuilding these - its a 2 cylinder - 3 wire trim motor. Is this something that I should take somewhere to have rebuilt and If I do what can I expect to pay. Paid 75.00 for the kit...In the meantime I have drained most of the fluid from the resevoir and tilt the motor up with a 2x4 - my marine guy says i can still run the boat without tilt, just need to secure up when entering/exiting the water. It runs best trimmed all the way down anyway. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Re: Rebuilding a Tilt/Trim Motor

Welcome. First of all, is the motor working? If it doesnt, check the battery and connections, make sure they are good before proceeding. Trim switch in and out or trim up. Does the solenoid in connection box click? IF it does, remove motor from manifold and run motor off manifold. Does the motor run now, you need to check the pump. If it doesnt, the motor is still no good. Back to the solenoid. If it does not operate (does not click), check the inline 20 amp fuse, Ill bet its blown. After that check the switch. Then check the wiring to ensure it is correct. I will supply a wiring diagram. Do you have a manual?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim wiring.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	6926601
    Chris

Johnson - Evinrude Top Secret Files:

Proudly Dedicating My Time To Antique And Vintage Style Outboards!

Comment

Working...
    X