remote steering, starting and shifting

Mr.Stuart

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I might be putting the horse before the cart on this one but I have an 89 9.9 horse "soon to be short shaft" Evinride electric start outboard.

I'm looking for a 12 foot aluminum boat to put it on and was wanting to set up a steering counsel on it, nothing elaborate just something simple, and I was looking through the Johnson/Evinrude accessory catalog and was seeing new remote start/throttle/shift controls, as seen in the picture, but was under the impression that I would have to use one that's about the same year of the engine, unless there's something I don't know, can't I buy a new one and use it with my outboard?

Attachments

• Sidemountrol05[1].jpg
    Sidemountrol05[1].jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: remote steering, starting and shifting

depending on the wiring you motor has you may need the conversion kit. you will for the throttle attachments anyway. have you considered stick steering, as a console takes up so much room. throttle on one side stick on the other.

this is a 14 footer, with 1955 15 hp

Mr.Stuart

I'm not following you on the stick steering, can you give me a better picture? I'm not seeing what your talking about in the pictures you posted. are you talking about "stick steering" like what would be found in an old airplane? like an old Aeronca champ or Piper cub or somthing?

I never really gave that much thought, but it would be easy enough to do I'd think and be quite unique.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Is this engine currently a tiller steer? If so, you need some conversion parts to make it a remote.

Mr.Stuart

yup, it's a tiller, I saw the stick steering system on ebay for 125, now I know what you guys are talking about.

from what I've heard so far, with a convirsion kit for the older motors, I'll be able to use one of the newer shift/throttle remote systems with it, or maybe look for a used one from 1989 or so?

I'm starting to get the idea here with this stuff, but it looks like it's going to be somewhat dependent on what I end up with for a boat, been watching craigs list pretty close, something will turn up.

now that I know what I'm looking at, I can see how tashasdaddy did his boat from the ppictures he posted.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that was my 3rd boat with that set up. i love them, you can sit foward, so the boat will plane with out problems. this one is set up at the middle seat, that way i could boat alone.

Mr.Stuart

I've never seen anything like the stick steering, that's a great idea, once I find the boat, I'll have to give it a go.