Water pump assembly - 77' 70 HP Evinrude

_brad_

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1977 70 HP Evinrude.

Still waiting for a stupid manual but of course I have all the parts I need NOW.

Installing water pump kit w/housing.

Question is, on the old housing there was no gasket under the water pump housing plate nor above it. Simply the plate and the housing were bolted directly on top of one another (not sure if that was the correct way in the first place but whatever).

Received new water pump kit (genuine not aftermarket) and notice this kit has not only a plate gasket, but also a o-ring which fits inside the bottom of the housing.

OK no problem, o-ring goes under the housing fine, but where does this gasket go? Under the plate? Above the plate? If it goes above the plate then that o-ring from the bottom of the housing would be in contact with the gasket.. That don't sound right...

From the bottom up is it:

Plate gasket
Water pump plate
Housing o-ring
Housing
??????????????????????

Or?????

Where does OMC sealer come into play with all these gaskets and o-rings? Seems like it would not be needed...

Any help would be great. I know these type of questions are redundant.

This is the kit I have:

Attachments

• 438579lrg.jpg
    438579lrg.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water pump assembly - 77' 70 HP Evinrude

OK, i doctored the picture. the gasket that fits the base plate goes under the plate, the round disc is goes into the housing then the outer ring. they are indexed to fit correctly. then insert the impeller, with the vanes lean the correct way, then use some sealer very lightly to hold the thin spagetti seal in the groove on the bottom of the housing. now slide the hole unit down over the shaft. the large round (pink) goes down the shaft to seal the shaft. the small o ring(yellow) goes in the groove on the shaft just under the splines. the white goes into the water tube fitting. hope this helps. it's the same for 99% of OMC water pumps. clik on the picture to enlarge and see the editing.

Attachments

• water pump.jpg
    water pump.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 0

_brad_

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water pump assembly - 77' 70 HP Evinrude

You are such a help.

You should be awarded for all the help you supply around here. I see your name everywhere!

Thank you!