90 90hp johnson tilt trim manual release valve

mray0504

Cadet
Can someone please tell me where to find the manual release valve on a 1990 90hp Johnson? There are 2 slotted screws one on the pump side and one on the reservoir side. Thanks.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90 90hp johnson tilt trim manual release valve

I believe yours is on the starboard side. It will be a slotted screw with probably a snap ring on it.

mray0504

Cadet

Thanks much HighTrim I'll try and locate that today. I have to get the motor up so I can replace the tilt trim motor.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

you dont need to remove the screw or the snap ring,just loosen the screw,snap ring is if you need 2 change the oring inside the valve

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Also - the screw is recessed in the clamp bracket casting - maybe 3/8-inch...
- Scott

mray0504

Cadet

I found the manual release and was able to raise the motor. Thanks for the help. Now one more question, does anyone have a good suggestion on how to remove the 3rd screw that sits next to the clamp bracket and the stern? Two of them look easy to remove but that 3rd one looks like you can't even get a screwdriver on it...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

are you referring to removing the trim motor??

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If you are you will probably have to take the whole unit out to take the motor off. If ur lucky, and im not sure since im not looking at ur motor, you will be able to slide it out without hitting the transom brackets for your boat motor. If it hits, as most do i think, take the port side bracket off, dismantle the steering , slide it to the left, then slide the trim unit out. You will then be able to get at that 3rd screw.

mray0504

Cadet

Yes, sorry I am talking about removing the tilt trim motor, it died this weekend. Last night after checking posts here I tested the motor with power straight from the battery and nothing, no movement or noise. Thanks very much, I didn't realize until just now that I could move/remove half of the transom bracket. It looked like one solid unit until I went out for a closer inspection.

Marc III

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On my '89 90hp, the unit will come up and out w/o unbolting the mounts from the transom.

mray0504

Cadet

Is one of your screws next to the mount and the stern? If so, how did you get at it?

Marc III

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remove the whole tilt & trim unit. Disconnect and pull the wiring from the cowl, turn the release screw, raise the motor manually, set the lock, unbolt the unit from the mounts, drive the pin out of the center ram, push the center ram in, and the whole thing will come up and out. I believe that covers it.

My trim motor had water intrusion due to a failed o-ring. I cleaned and polished the internals, replaced the springs behind the brushes, and replaced the o-ring. I regret not putting a bead of sealer around the outside of the trim motor, for extra insurance.

mray0504

Cadet

I ended up having to take the port side bracket off to get the tilt trim motor off. Once I replaced the motor it seems as though I need to add some fluid. Can someone tell me what kind to use? Also how do I get it in? The motor is on the port side but there seems to be a resevoir on the starboard side but I can seem to figure out where I would put the fluid. Do I disconnect the line to the resevoir and try to fill it there? Thanks for the help.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

There will be a large slotted screw at the top front of the resevoir, that is the fill. Top it up, cycle it a few times, then re check it. I use the OMC TNT fluid that I get from the marina, but there are many others that are acceptable.

doriften

Recruit

ok then how do you remove the tilt trim if the 6 bolts are broken at the heads?? im feeling sick worried about this bloddy motor now please someone help im desperate

boobie

Supreme Mariner

This is a very OLD thread. Read instructions at top of forum!!!