1991 Evinrude 175 hp Lower Unit ?????

sportcraft17

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have 1991 Evinrude 175 hp, Model: VE175TXEID, that I need to replace the Impeller but Lower unit won?t come lose, I got all the bolts remove even the one that is underneath the stabilizer, I also remove shift rod pin from underneath the carburetor, and the Lower unit wont come lose, Is there anything else on this Motor that I have to do before Lower unit is remove. I have been hitting the Lower unit with a Rubber mallet and the Lower unit still won?t come lose, it came down about half Inch but that?s about it. I will really appreciated any Help

Thank you

Benny1963

Lieutenant
Re: 1991 Evinrude 175 hp Lower Unit ?????

have had same prob shaft froze in crank or stuck in pump area
ihave a 150 evinrude 1981 have tryed wooden shims . prying
pounding you name but one day it will fall off.
good luck .benny b

sportcraft17

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is there anything that can be done? Or I would have to replace the motor? Is there any way that I can get to the drive shaft and cut it? I would replace the Drive shaft than the whole motor, any advice, I?m dying to go fishing and I?m stock without an Impeller.

Thank you

reeldutch

Lieutenant

did you say it dropped a 1/2 inch?

are you shure you shiftrod is disconected?

reeldutch

Lieutenant

when you took the pin out did you push the shaft in to free the shift rod?

your driveshaft is not frozen otherwize it wouldnt drop a 1/2 inch.

sportcraft17

Petty Officer 3rd Class

after I remove the pin (screw-in type pin) I was able to push down and up the shift rod with my hand, just to make sure it was loose, after the lower unit drop 1/2, I was pretty sure that something was holding the lower unit but I look all over to see if something was holding the lower unit from dropping, but I couldn't fine anything.
Thanks

sportcraft17

Petty Officer 3rd Class

also I found this cable, like it is, it is lose and nothing on the other side of the plug to connect to. any idea what is this cable for. Motor was equipt with Vro pump.

Image303.jpg

Image304.jpg

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

You must have missed a bolt, there should be 6 of them. 4 obvious ones that you can see, one under the plate, and then one more big one in the back of the lower unit, closest to the prop.

Also I have put some carpet down before and stood on the cavitation plate and bounced up and down until the L/U dropped, but that is only after I KNEW that all the bolts were out and the shift rod was completely disconnected.

I thought you had the pin type shift rod connection that you have to push towards the port side to release. If you say you have the screw type, then make sure you can move the shift rod back and forth, so you know it's free. DO NOT spin it or move it up and down yet, or you will adjust the height of it, and make more problems for yourself.

sportcraft17

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I can move the lower unit from left to right, it is very loose but it won't drop, I can also see 1 /4 inch of the thermostat housing, I can also move the shift rod back and forward and it feels very loose also, I was thinking on running the motor at 3500 rpm on ear muff, without any screws holding the lower unit. Just to see if the vibration will let it drop, but my battery is dead, so I will have to do that tomorrow. Do you know if running the motor without any screws holding the Lower unit can cause any damage to the motor? I know what ever is holding the lower unit it has to be something small, my guess is that rust got to the shaft and the rust it?s what?s holding the lower unit but that is only a guess

Thank you

iwombat

Captain

Running it can sometimes free up a stuck drive shaft (not at 3500!), but you're further along than that if it's dropping 1/2". You might try tilting it and see if the angle change gets something to unbind. You're real close, just keep trying.