1988 Johnson 90 hp V4 - VRO Question

Devil_Inside

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys! Just bought a new (used motor) and I took it for a test drive on the lake and so far so good :D However, I really want to disconnect the VRO pump. I already read the FAQ and a lot of threads about the VRO, but I couldn't really find an answer, because most people start arguing whether or not the VRO should be disconnected. I know that I want mine disconnected :p

So the big question is how? I was thinking just to cap the oil link (outside the motor) so it doesn't suck any air and to disable the alarm somehow, mix my oil and gas as usual and connect it to the fuel link...but I am not sure if this will work?

Thank you :)

ob

Admiral
Re: 1988 Johnson 90 hp V4 - VRO Question

Remove the oil inlet hose connection nearest the vro pump and plug it off with a suitable plug and clamp.I used a I believe it was a 3/8" sized stainless steel bolt with a smoothe shank and cut the threads off leaving just the smoothe shank and bolt head and inserted into hose and secured it with a stainless steel hose clamp.Next ..trace the three wires leading from the vro pump to a rubber amphenol connector in the engine compartment and disconnect it and secure both ends so they aren't flopping around loose.This will disable the vro alarm.Then.. trace the two wires from the vro oil reservoir to their connectors in the engine compartment and disconnect and secure them.This will disable the low level oil reservoir alarm.

Mix TCW3 oil at 50:1 in fuel tank and then temporarily disconnect the fuel line inlet nearest the vro pump and pump the fuel primer bulb slowly until you can visually detect a hint of the two cycle oil color in the fuel exiting the disconnected hose.This will insure that the fuel mix is available at the vro inlet before startup.Then reconnect the fuel hose.

May just as well remove the now out of service oil reservoir and hose from boat.
Next , to insure that the overheat alarms are still operational,locate the tan wire lead from one of the head temp sensors,and with the key in the 'on' position ,ground the tan lead to the engine block and listen for the alarm tone.It should sound.To ground the tan lead you can peel back the connector sleeve to expose the wire or back probe it with a test lead.

That's it.Your engines vro pump will operate just fine as a standard 50:1 pumper.Mine's been doing it for years.

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

That Sums It All Up In A Nut Shell. Was Gonna See If I Could Help. Ob Handeled It Better Then I Ever Could Have. Ive Been Thinking Of Disconnecting Mine.but Havent Found A Good Reason To Do That. Is There One?? *** If It Aint Broke Dont Try Fix It***

hoeser

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a first generation 1984 VRO system that still works great to this day. I am updating it soon, but still, I think that is a testament to the fact that it is a good and reliable system.

redtech

Seaman Apprentice

the vro system is a good system if not broke leave it. the vro if a commonly misunderstood system and gets blamed for many things it shouldn't.

Devil_Inside

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am sure that the VRO is a great system, but I just want to have one less thing to worry about. (like a turbo on a car let's say :) ) I just bought the engine from a dealer in Greenfield MA and he also recommended to disconnect the VRO. Besides I don't really know how to test it, neither I have a VRO tank. I can always plug the VRO pump and test it at the end of the season, but for now I just want to take my boat out and do some fishing (finally) :D