Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Holes in cylinder wall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holes in cylinder wall

A while back I rebuilt a 3 cyl. 60 or 70 hp Rude looper for a friend. It ate a reed and ruined a piston and head. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact year or hp size.
    While I had it apart, I noticed a small drilled hole in each cylinder wall about 1/2 inch above the exhaust ports. These holes entered the exhaust runners. The engine had cast in, equal length exhaust runners surrounded by the water jacket.
    What was the reason for these holes? The factory obviously put them there for a reason.

Re: Holes in cylinder wall

It's supposed to be an exhaust relief to help the motor idle better. Does it work? Personally, I doubt it does anything, good or bad. Most of the time when the motor gets resleeved those ports are covered. The performance guys plug them. Sometimes the holes are plugged with carbon. Never seen a motor do anything different with them open or closed.

Comment

Re: Holes in cylinder wall

I wouldn't worry too much about it...Good Luck

Patrick

Comment

Working...
      X