Johnson 1994 3.3 hp low-end carb adjustment

johnson_lover

Recruit
I rencently acquired a Johnson 1994 3.3 hp motor model number HJ3RERM. I put new plug, impeller, and lower unit oil in, and mixed up a fresh batch of 50:1 gas. It starts up in a couple of pulls and runs great on the top end. It will not run well under about 1/3 throttle. Moving the throttle to minimum (against the mechanical stop) will immediately kill the engine. It appears that it is lean as I can mix in a little choke to get a better low end run. It also needs a little choke to get a transition from low to high when cold. I diassembled and cleaned the carb and it was fine. I found no needle to adjust - just the low-end mechanical stop. Is there a way to get this kitten purring on the low end or a way to improve the transition? Thanks, JC d:)

Attachments

• Boat_Sept_4_2006_rear.jpg
    49 bytes · Views: 0
D

DJ

Re: Johnson 1994 3.3 hp low-end carb adjustment

There is no low speed adjustable jet. It is fixed. The engine should kill when the throttle is against the stop.

I would clean the carb again. Pay special attention to any orifices. Carb cleaner and compressed air are necessary.

johnson_lover

Recruit

djohns19 said:
There is no low speed adjustable jet. It is fixed. The engine should kill when the throttle is against the stop.

I would clean the carb again. Pay special attention to any orifices. Carb cleaner and compressed air are necessary.

OK, thanks for the advice. I'll clean her up again using some carb cleaner. How 'bout adjusting the float a little higher? Would that help?

JC

D

DJ

If it is set to spec. setting it higher will just make it flood.

johnson_lover

Recruit

djohns19 said:
If it is set to spec. setting it higher will just make it flood.

I cleaned carb and went fishing today. Fish bit, and motor ran well. d:)

It ran better on the low end after five minute WOT run to the fishing hole to come up to temp. Still not a tick-over idle, but perfectly acceptable.

Thanks for your help!

JC