Evinrude 150 Ficht CHECK ENGINE prior to start

Just replaced a cracked vapor separator cap on the motor (Year 2000 w/ less than 100 hours). THought that would be the end of my problems, but when I turn the power on and rotate the key for the built in self test, the "Check Engine" light remains illuminated. All fuel lines were reconnected, the squeeze bulb is pumped stiff, and there are no leaks. Depressing the schrader valve releases a good stream of fuel. Engine cranks but does not start up. Not sure if this is a real problem, or a hold over from the previous problem (cracked vapor separator cap) that justs needs a reset of the Check Engine system prior to it allowing me to start.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Re: Evinrude 150 Ficht CHECK ENGINE prior to start

Pulling this to the top one last time in hopes someone can provide a recommendation. THanks!

Purchased a shop manual and went through the service code retrieval process. Had one level 1 code (37) for water detected in the fuel, which makes sense, given the breach in the fuel system via the vapor separator cap.

Where's the easiest place to disconnect fuel hoses to flush the system, and can anyone recommend a straightforward process? The Clymer manual doesn't really say where to start this process, although it mentions several components to check in the system.

Will a fuel additive help "dry" out the fuel?

tampa boater

Cadet

intruder - seems to me (i'm no expert) that the place to start is by emptying the water separator / fuel filter (#46 in the diagram below which should be for your engine). That's the only place where the "Water in Fuel Sensor" (# 14 below) 'knows' there is water. If that solves you may just want to keep an eye and you should empty out the Water Separator on the boat if you have one. Hope that helps.

[

tampa boater

Cadet

here's the pic..

Attachments

• 150.gif
    54 bytes · Views: 1
  • 150.gif
    54 bytes · Views: 1

THanks Tampa. I went ahead and drained the water separator / fuel filter. What had me confused was that the Clymer manual said the Water Separator was a different component than the fuel filter and I couldn't locate it based on the picture in the shop manual. There was considerable amount of water in the filter. Emptied it out, pumped several more filers full of fuel through, emptying each of them. Left it overnight and emptied once agaig (no water in filter anymore). THe Check Engine light went out, so my fuel is now relatively clean.

But, the boat still won't start, and it seems like my battery has lost its cranking ability, so I'll charge it up tonight when I get home. I also probably still need to purge whatever bad fuel might be resident in the vapor separator again since I was probably pushing bad fuel through the system for awhile.

Two steps forward...one step back!