electronic choke operation

airwarrior

Seaman
Ok, when I turn the ignition switch, and have the choke on the engine in the middle position for the electronic choke, do I need to hold another button or switch? I have three wires coming out of the electronic, one ground and two that run into the harness... I was just wondering if maybe I am supposed to do something else while the engine is cranking.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: electronic choke operation

if you do not have a choke button, push in on the key and listen for a click. there were to types of controls

airwarrior

Seaman

ok there is a toggle switch just below the ignition switch, and above the tilt, kinda a sill place I think lol. So with power on I hit the toggle switch and I heard the electric choke kick, then I looked at it and saw it move.

NOW, when starting do I just flip the toggle then crank, or HOLD the toggle while cranking?

I tracked down my fuel problem... I am pretty sure it is the carbs (not crabs!) as I cranked and cranked, using electric choke and manual and it wouldnt start. So I started with the bulb and squeezed it until hard. then I pulled the fuel line going into the filter and gas came out so I squeezed a little into a glass jar and it was clean. Then I hooked that back up and squeezed some more and pulled the line coming out of the fuel pump at the "T" where it splits to the carbs (again not crabs!) and fuel came out, I pulled the drain plug on the bottom of the upper carb and it had gas.. I just let her drain into a rag.
So I had gas that far.... next I pulled all 4 spark plugs and they were bone dry... so gas is going into the carbs but not out.

Funny thing... when looking in my service manual they showed a gap less plug, and thats not what I have in it. I went to Champions website and looked my motor up then headed to the auto parts house and got the plugs that was on the website and they are regular looking spark plugs with a gap to set... which is right or are both right?

airwarrior

Seaman

oh yeah... when cranking, my tach showed about 800-850 RPM, that is enough to start right?

Walker

Captain

Hold the choke switch while cranking.

tashasdaddy

ok this is why we ask that you always post hp and year. had to go find one of you other post to find which engine is yours, my manual show Champion UL77V which is a non gap plug. it sounds like the toggle is a change out for a bad button or ignition switch. is the toggle a flip up and it stays there or a flip up and it returns on it own. if flip up and stays all the time it is up you are choking, if flip up and return you have to hold to choke. pump till hard choke and start if no start pump again, choke and start. if no start, pump no choke and try to start. you can always put some mixed gas in a spray or squeeze bottle and spray it into the carb for a real manual choke it sounds like to float or needle is stuck in the carb.

airwarrior

Seaman

Thanks tash! I should enter all the info in my signature then when I am asking questions all the info is there!

The switch springs back when you let go of it. I will squirt some gas in it tomorrow when I get home.... mosquitos are pretty bad right now and they just love the lights in the garage! The spark plug you mentioned sounds like the same part number as what WAS in there.... I dont know why I came up with something different off thier website...

The boat had been rewired a little while before I bought it and has new weather proof type switches, a vhf radio and lorance fish finder were added then. I guess I have owned it just over three years now... used it like four times (eek, gonna get flamed for that I know) amd it has been well over a year since she was in the water. Ordering a new water pump tomorrow (just incase).Thanks for the help!

ob

Admiral

Why not just list the engine year and horsepower to this thread??

airwarrior

Seaman

It's 1973 Johnson 85 HP Model 85ESL73

The same info appears if you click on my name and there is something about the outboards you have run... I just wanted to add it to my signature so it is always there... I only have one boat lol!

airwarrior

Seaman

OK, for future reference I have added my boat and motor to my profile heh heh... this forums bbcode is a lil different than what I am used too!

airwarrior

Seaman

heres the boat
bwsig.jpg

tashasdaddy

4 time in 3 years , you don't deserve it, send it to me, where it can be happy and run all the time. damn nice rig.