Wiring harness adapter to late model?

8up

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Iv'e heard of a cable that will adapt my current controls for my 85' 140 w/ t&t to a 96' and newer outboard. Can someone fill me in on this. Is this a decent way to go or am I better off with new controls anyway? Where/what does it convert?

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wiring harness adapter to late model?

your control is 21 years old, is it still in good condition, wiring harness,cables.

8up

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would say my controls are in fair condition. I was just thinking maybe I could cut the cost of this repower.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

There are a couple adaptor cables to adapt 96' and newer engines to 95' and older controls. Would work for you if your trying to keep costs' down. One kit is just a cable adaptor...runs around $60. The other I believe will adapt your rig to system check set up....runs around $200+ I think. Don't know what engine your considering but check with your local J/Rude dealer for more details.

8up

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is this the control box I would need for the 96'/97'motor? If so, what other harnesses would I need? I believe I have an updated oil tank with the sensor in it.

Thanks,
Scott

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

That box will connect up to any 96 and newer motor. You will need a harness to to go from the box to the engine. Check with your local John/Rude dealer.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you will also need the shift and throttle cables, if you can't reuse the old ones.

8up

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the help everyone. I stopped by my Evinrude dealer today and bought the adapter harness. It sound like this should work out good for now.