Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

1985 4hp Evinrude water pump replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 4hp Evinrude water pump replacement

Motor runs fine until it overheats. Very little water coming from cooling ports, mostly a warm air. I figured I need a water pump replacement but when I removed all of the bolts that hold the gearbox to the exhaust housing it is loose, but doesn't release. The Clymer manual I'm using just says to carefully remove the gearbox. What am I doing wrong?

Re: 1985 4hp Evinrude water pump replacement

Sailorsaint, Welcome to iboats!What are you doing wrong? basically nothing...Remove the 2 bolts holding the lower unit to the midsection. Since there's no gear shift connecting rod, she should just drop down. If theres a bit of rust or metal displacement at the driveshaft/crankshaft junction, that could be cause for it not dropping.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Comment

Thank you very much! So maybe a little force will dislodge the shafts.

Comment

Rubber mallet..few good whacks

Comment

Working...
        X