removing lower unit on a Johnson 1999 150 HP

boju1988

Recruit
I am having trouble dropping my lower unit on my Johnson 1999 150 HP Motor. I took out 5 bolts the lower unit dropped about 2 inches. I can't get it to drop any farther to reveal the water pump housing so I can replace the pump. Any suggestions?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: removing lower unit on a Johnson 1999 150 HP

Welcome! <br /><br />Theres more bolts but if it dropped 2 inches they must be gone anyway. Did you unhook the shift?

boju1988

Recruit

No I need to know how to unhook that. Do you know?

ob

Admiral

First thing you'll want to do boju is make back up a couple of the bolts in the lower unit to remove the strain on the shift linkage.Hopefully you didn't force it hard and bend something.<br /><br />Anyway,the shift rod coupler is located under the lower carb area in the engine compartment.To release the rod from the coupler,remove the hitch pin from the shift arm as well as the shift cable clevis bolt and push in or to the port side to separate the split coupler from the shift rod.Once separated ,the lower unit should drop.The entire length of the shift rod as well as the driveshaft will all come down with the lower unit.Once removed,insure that you don't turn the shift rod as it will change it's adjusted length.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And pay attention to which direction the offset is pointing before disconnecting it.

boju1988

Recruit

Wow. Thanks and no I didn't force it. I think I can handle this just too bad your instructions don't come with pictures. <br />Thanks again boju