throttle and shift cable installation

tigerking

Cadet
I have a 1985 Evinrude 40HP and was wondering what is the proper way to install throttle and shift cables. Installation of each cable in the control box seemed pretty straight forward but I'm a little confused on the engine side of things. With the control lever in neutral I compared the length of the new ones to the old ones and installed. The engine wouldn't idle for long so I adjusted the wheel on the throttle cable until it idled a little better. Shifted into forward and boat went forward but when I throttled up the engine rpm did not change (even at WOT) and it stalled. Could not get it to idle again. (Never got to try reverse.)<br /><br />The engine and cables were all working fine before replacement to lengthen them.

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: throttle and shift cable installation

You'll need to do a lync and sync. <br /> <br /> At least thats what I'd suggest. <br /><br /> Its not really a good idea ,to fool with throttle cable adjustments at random. <br /><br /> There is a specific procedure , to get everything set correctly.<br /><br /> If you dont have a manual, and you intend to do your own work, you'll need to get one. <br /><br /> Everything you need to know, is in it. <br /> <br /> Good Luck,<br /> KYhunter

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

did you hook the wheel adjustment into the holder on the motor? the adjusting wheel must be anchored, in order for the throttle cable to move. look in the iboats mega mall for OMC connetion kit. if you do not have the brackets with the 2 ears your cable will not operate.

tigerking

Cadet

Great, thanks guys! I have a seloc manual for the lync and sync and yes I did anchor both cables into the brackets. Is it correct to install the cable with the throttle lever in neutral? I saw one post that said to "pull the lever all the way back." Does this mean install the cables with the throttle lever in reverse?<br /><br />thanks again

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

I have done it with the lever, in neutral , I guess.<br /><br /> I dont see , where it will make a difference. Seems to me , its alot easier to install them, with it in neutral. <br /><br /> If you install them correctly ,and do a lync and sync.<br /><br /> I dont see, where it would matter. What gear , the motor is in.<br /><br /> I'd stick with neutral.<br /><br /> Good-Luck,<br /><br /> KYHunter :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've always installed in neutral, and then fine turn the adjustment wheel for f/r

mfbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your throttle cable should be installed with the throttle lever in full foward position, the shift cable installed with shift arm in neutral.

tigerking

Cadet

I had a mechanic help me out. We installed the throttle cable and shift cables in neutral, did a link and sync and still no start. Spark was good. Turned out the carbs had gone bad in the last 3 weeks. Cleaned em out and replaced gaskets and she fired right up. Thanks everyone.

Dave Shipos

Seaman Apprentice

Just a question..( not meant to make anyone mad)But, ..When someone has a question, Why is it allot of people tell you to get a manual? Not everyone is in a position to just go and get one, however, they may be working on there boat at the time and something happens, and they are stuck!... So, they come here for guidance, (Which that is why most of us are here) and all they get most of the time is get a manual.... I dont get it!