Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

'98 50HP Johnson won't idle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '98 50HP Johnson won't idle

My 50HP Johnson will idle while on the muffs but won't when in the water. How do I advance the idle speed?Thanks,Keith

Re: '98 50HP Johnson won't idle

Advancing the idle speed is masking the symptom, not repairing the problem.Most likely, you are running on one cylinder-only.1. Check spark, on both. Should jump 1/2" with strong blue spark.2. Check compression on both. Should be over 100 and very close to each other.If both of those are OK, you probably have a fouled carburetor, for that cylinder.

Comment

Re: '98 50HP Johnson won't idle

Hello,I had the boat in the water last night. The motor idles nicely while in neutral, but won't idle while in gear. When I put it in gear, I have to give it a little throttle to keep it from stalling. The motor runs great once I get above idle speed. Comes up on plane with no trouble. Runs strong while on plane. According to GPS I hit 33mph with no stumbles or sputters at all.

Comment

Working...
      X