kill switch problems on '83 Evinrude 60

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Schenck

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1983 60 hp Evinrude that is giving trouble on and off. I have now discovered the that the problem is a fault in the kill switch system. When I disconnect the kill switch then she starts and if I reconnect while she is running then she dies and I get a slight shock. She runs very well otherwise! Where do I start?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: kill switch problems on '83 Evinrude 60

Lady Jayn...are you talking about the kill switch on the control box? From where are you getting the shock....engine or control box?<br /><br />A shock usually means a bare wire going against metal. Look around the switch for any bare wire that may be laying against the metal.<br /><br />This is about all we can suggest until we have a little more info.

David Schenck

Seaman Apprentice

I am getting a shock on the black and yellow wire on the motor not in the control box - I have not opened the control box up yet. I disconnected the black and yellow wire at the connector on the motor and then she started - when I reconnected the wires at the connector on the motor she died immediately. Could the problem be in the control box at the ignition switch?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The black w/yellow strip wire is your kill wire from the power pack. It runs up to the key switch and is also wired into the emergency cut off switch mounted on the side of the control box. <br /><br />One of three things.....key switch is going bad, emergency kill switch is going bad or, again, the wire has a bare spot and is laying against a grounded metal part. If your getting a shock from the wire when you touch it, I'd be looking for a bare place in the wire near the engine.<br /><br />A wiring diagram would do you a lot of good. Do you have a service manual?

David Schenck

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks OBJ - I will check it out and get back tomorrow.

ARBassMan!

Recruit
Outcome findings solutions?
We are questioning kill switch on our 83 evinrude 60hp
no manuel yet

Status
Not open for further replies.