WOT Speed

DWNewt

Seaman Apprentice
What is the top speed you should get at 5500 rpm with an Evinrude 75hp installed on a 16ft deep v hull boat. Engine sounds great but seems as though its not getting everything it should. Not sure of the prop specs.

ob

Admiral
Re: WOT Speed

There is no specific predetermined top speed.Only estimated as each rig and setup is unique unless compared to exactly the same .Assuming that a 16 footer deep V design fiberglass hull with a 13 3/4" X 15" prop at 5500 rpm ,my guess would be around 34-36 mph in mild chop with engine trimmed out.

DWNewt

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I'm getting max speed of 28 in fresh water. I know I'm getting a good spark on each cylinder. Just changed one coil and the rest are good. Could timing be my problem? Always seemed to travel faster in salt water! Is this my imagination?

ob

Admiral

I notice better top end performance in salt water as well.No mystery there.Specific gravity of salt water is different from fresh.In order to determine whether you have or don't have a problem with engine rpm performance ,one would have to know what diameter and pitch prop you are currently using and whether the engine is et at its optimal height on transom(ie setup).