shear pin breaking-25 hp

cowfish17

Recruit
I have a 1977 25 hp evinrude and the shear pin breaks frequently when I go from an idle into gear. Someone suggested to me that my idle should be adjusted. Any ideas?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: shear pin breaking-25 hp

Just how fast is it idling cowfish? Welcome aboard!<br /><br />You should be idling down around 650 to 750 rpms. Does it "clunk" when you shift into gear? If so, the idle is high and can cause undue stress on the shear pin causing it to break often.<br /><br />Can you get a timing light with tach capabilities to take a look or maybe a tiny tach?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The shear pin is just taking as much of the shock as it can, which it is designed to do to keep the gears from being ripped apart. When you shift that motor you have to reduce the speed completely back to shift (idle), then from neutral, shift firmly into gear.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Also be sure you are using the right pins.OMC used different metals for different motors.<br /><br />DHP

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and if the engine is idling correctly check the pin hole in the propshaft for wear and the drive slot in the prop hub for excessive wear, both can shear pins when placed in gear if to sloppy.

G DANE

Commander

I had that problem untill I discovered that I was overtightening propnut. That nut should only be just tight, and turned to cutterpin holes are aligned, and locked with a cutterpin. If you overtighten you will notice the broken pins looks a bit bent ( though in pieces ) when you take them out. Take it easy.

cowfish17

Recruit

thanks guys, you have been very helpful. This is a great discussion board that you have going here