Recoil rope replacement 9.9

pappie

Cadet
I have a 1977 Johnson 9.9 with a shabby manual pull start rope.How hard is it to replace the rope?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Recoil rope replacement 9.9

Hi Pappie,<br /> Not very hard. Would require disassembly of the recoil. Start by untying the handle from the rope. Let the spring suck it in and spin out - SLOWLY. Undo the center bolt of the recoil, taking care to keep the recoil held together. Remove the recoil from the motor. Still holding the recoil together, remove the center bolt. Remove the spin-up gear and friction spring.<br /> Now, gently rock the rope spool back and forth while pulling it from the housing - you're trying to remove the rope spool without pulling the spring out with it. There is a pin near the center of the rope spool's underside that engages the center of the spring. You want to pull that pin out of the spring. <br /> Safety glasses or goggles are a must as the spring is tightly wound and can do a number on you if it does come out. Work slowly and carefully. Once the rope spool is removed you'll see how the rope is attached to it and can replace it accordingly. Tape the end of the rope inside the spool for now.<br /> Reassemble in reverse order. Take pictures if needed to help with order of assembly, etc. Once the recoil is reinstalled, turn the rope spool about two turns to put tension in the spring. Undo the tape and pull the end of the rope through the cowling. Retie the handle in place.<br /> As usual, a manual helps things greatly and can handle the gaps I am sure to have missed.<br /> Good luck!<br />- Scott

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Not hard pappie. Easiest way is to take the handle off, let the rope go to release spring tension and remove the recoil starter from the engine. You can then remove the pulley and replace the rope. On this recoil starter, the rope pulley is in two pieces held together with screws.<br /><br />Watch how it comes apart and you should have not problem. Re-wind the new rope (counterclock wise) and re-install the starter. Take a turn or two around the pulley with the rope to tighten up the spring a little and run the rope back out the rope hole and attach the handle.<br /><br />Take a look at the link below and click engine diagrams. Follow the prompts and you can see a parts breakdown on your starter. Should help.<br /><br /> http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Some folks can really type fast....... :D

pappie

Cadet

Thanks for your input and help this will be a project for my son and I.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Just use a little caution when you pull the pulley free of the recoil spring. They stick sometimes and can pull the spring out. You don't want to do that.<br /><br />Keep us posted on how you do..... :)