Evinrude VF-10 50 HP; years made?

lowryjim

Recruit
I just purchased a used Evinrude 50 HP VF-10.<br /><br />The plate where the Ser Num was to be, is missing... so I can not obtain the exact year<br />it was made.<br /><br />As I am seeking a manual for this outboard,<br />will someone please tell be the years in <br />which this model ( 50 hp VF-10) was made.<br /><br />Thanks

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Evinrude VF-10 50 HP; years made?

Welcome Jim, where did you get the # VF-10? look for an aluminum freeze plug about the size of a quarter on the motor block, it will have the model and serial #'s.<br /><br />Check to make sure that the "F" is not actually a "4", if it is it would make your motor a 50hp Johnson made in 1958, only one year they were made.<br /><br />Hope this helps ;)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Being a V4 50hp Evinrude or Johnson, the engine would be either a 1958 or 1959 model. As MCM states, the "10" would indicate the engine is a 1958 model but "only" if you are sure the engine is a 50hp engine.<br /><br />My reasoning for the above "only" is that the VX-10 is a 1964 60hp model and the V4M-10 is a 1964 90hp model.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good point Joe, definately need the correct model# to be sure.

lowryjim

Recruit

I will ty to find the "plug"..<br /><br />And I'm sorry... <br /><br />but the engine cover states;<br /><br />evinrude 50<br /> VRO<br /><br />the guy i got it from said it should be<br />an 80's model <br /><br />but you're saying more like a 50's ???

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I beleive the plug should be located on the top portion of the block on that motor, probably silver in color unless its been painted over.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You didn't say where you came up with the VF-10 model number, Jim. It is important.<br /><br />Is the engine a V4 or a twin?<br /><br />If it has the original cowling and that says Evinrude 50 and VRO, then it is probably a twin from the 80s. Gotta have a model number to verify. It should read: E50nnnnn, with the n being a letter.<br /><br />Thw "VF-10" threw us waaaaay off. :(

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't recall that saying VRO earlier :rolleyes: , pulled an edit huh :D

lowryjim

Recruit

Yep... edited vf-10 to VRO<br /><br />The R was a little rubbed out<br />on the one side.<br /><br />Thanks guys... I located the plug<br />and it appears it is a 1980 twin<br /><br />Now... I'll pick up a manual tomorrow<br />but will you tell me how good this engine<br />is/was with it being in lets say fair shape.<br /><br />I mean how would it compare to a 1980 Yamaha?<br /><br />Thanks for the great help

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

I didn't think they had VRO in 1980.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Jim.... The very first VRO engine came into existence in 1984 HOWEVER..... the VRO was not incorporated on the 2 cylinder 50hp Evinrude or Johnson until 1985.<br /><br />As such, your engine must be at least a 1985 model but you need to examine the engine closely to determine exactly what year it is, otherwise obtaining parts could be a problem.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Joe Reeves,<br /><br />How did OMC code their military motors ?<br /><br />Several years ago the local army base came in with some 30 or 35 HP units.I had next to nothing on them to accurately order parts,so they gave me some info.I just don't recall the model nomenclature.These units were designed to be submerged undersea,anchored down,and run later.<br /><br />Sorry to go on like this.It gets long.<br /><br />Could OMC have tried VRO earlier than the production dates we know ? My best guess they didn't try commercial engines,but they may have done military or foreign markets s a trial ?<br /><br />DHP

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jim, Please post the #'s from the plug you found, if nothing else for curiosity sake :)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

DHP.... Sorry but I know nothing about those military models.