Evinrude 8 hp 2-stroke

bristol

Recruit
Do you know what years Evinrude produced the 8 hp 2-stroke motor? I can't seem to find any info on this model. Thanks

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Evinrude 8 hp 2-stroke

Welcome to Iboats!<br /><br />'84-2001. Johnson (same as Evinrude until lately) is still selling it. I think this might be the last year. It's related to the 80s 7.5hp and the 80-present 6hp engines. All very good engines IMO.<br />Post you're model number from the tag on the transom clamp and we can ID the year precisely.<br /><br />EDIT: I don't see it on Johnson's web site anymore. Looks like it's gone already.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1984 to 2001, and as Paul says related to 7.5 and 6 hp

bristol

Recruit

Thanks for all the help! One more question (for now): the present owner states that this motor is a long shaft, but the model number seems not to reflect that. Could it still be a long shaft motor? Thanks again for all your help.

bubbakat

Captain

If you can get to the motor measure it and it will let you know for sure.<br />As you said without the letter in the model number i would supect it to be a short shaft.<br /><br />
shaft_length_small.gif

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Bubbacat's diagram is a bit misleading. Measure from the inside of the bracket as shown down to the joint between the leg and the gearcase (Thats just above the oil level screw). The standard shaft engine is 381mm and the long shaft is 508mm. <br />The overall heights of the engines are 1016mm and 1143mm respectively

DHPMARINE

Captain

Vic,we might convert your mm readings to inches,but we usually measure down to the cavitation plate.Not the parting joint of the exhaust housing / gearcase.Also,on some gearcases the oil plug is below the cavitation plate,on others it's above.Is there an accurate standard we can pass on to new comers?<br /><br />I've used what bubbkat says for years,but have to admit some engines measure 16 or 17 inches,and that gets confusing.<br /><br />The actual standard is the cavitation plate should be within 1" of the bottom of the transom.<br /><br />It's all about getting enough water to prop so it can move the boat.<br /><br />DHP

bubbakat

Captain

Its designed to estimate shaft length. The only exact way is to remove the shaft and measure.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

The dimensions in mm were taken from an old Evinrude brochure for the UK. However 381mm = 15 ins and 508mm = 20 ins. <br /><br />The guide I suggest for measuring is based on actually looking at one of these engines. The measurements down to the cavitation plates are about 17½ and 22½ inches for stadard and long shaft versions respectively<br /><br />The comment about the oil level screw also relates to one of these engines.

bubbakat

Captain

AW vic we learn something new every day.<br /><br />Good input you have there. :)

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Thanks. I think the dimensions quoted are actually nominal transom heights above the water line. The actual drive shaft lengths would be considerably more. I estimate that the overall shaft length for a 5, 6 , 8 hp longshaft model would be in the region of 23-25ins.<br /><br />Next time I have it out I'll measure it!