Should run all Cylinders but dont

dave01tx

Cadet
1989 Evinrude 110 HP Model: TE110TLCEM

Problem is: standing at back of boat the 2 right cylinders seems fine, the 2 left-motor runs same without plug connected

All cylinders 120 on compression
All Cylinders have great spark at the plug and they all fire in order as they should
Just went thru the carbs for a third time and there perfect, ALL passages and jet wide open.
When i had carbs off again i looked as best as i could and the intake gasket seems fine in the intake and on the outside too.

Im left with thinking maybe the intake gasket is some how blown on the inside???

Any advise is appreciated, its driving me nuts....Ive worked on many other outboards...with success :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What is the colour of the stripe on orange wires.------Orange / blue stripe should go to the top cylinder #1 on starboard and #2 on the port side.

dave01tx

Cadet
from back of boat, i dont know firing order so ill say 1 2
3 4

When i remove spark wires:
1 does nothing 2 almost kills motor
3 does nothing 4 slows motor but not as much as 2

racerone

Supreme Mariner
How did this motor run for you last year ?----You should be getting the same change at each cylinder.-----#1 cylinder is not contributing to power output.----#3 is not contributing either.----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" ( 1 cm ) on all leads yes or no ?----#1 runs off the top carburetor.---#3 runs off the bottom carburetor.----Something is wrong here and I encourage you to do more trouble shooting.-----I get slammed when I try to explain simple stuff sometimes.

dave01tx

Cadet
Only had boat 2 months, never took to lake
I remove all plug and see strong spark across all gaps.

This has to be simple.....im bad about over looking the obvious stuff.

I would say HAS to be intake gasket but with carbs off im pretty sure i see gasket around each port where it should be.

dave01tx

Cadet
When i was inspecting inside the intake for a gasket leak i checked the reeds and there all shut and if i poke them a bit there springy and go back shut completely i can see the gasket in place as it should be this is one one of the non firing cylinders

The way the intake gasket is made, wide dividing the left and right cylinders but narrow between top and bottom cylinders i doubt it would blow out left to right and one side is fine anyway but i can see gasket that divide top and bottom of problem cylinders and it looks like a normal sealing is there.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does spark jump a gap of at least 7/16" on all leads ?----Sparkplugs are not used during that test.---When was the compression test done ?------I would be taking the cylinder head off the starboard side.-----Well , that will cost you a new head gasket at $30.-----Certainly a lot cheaper than powerpacks / timer bases / stator.

dave01tx

Cadet
Racerone,

7/16 is a long distance, will any ignition do that? Plugs out and threads against case produce a bright and loud snap, ive seen much less spark run cars and model gas airplane engine great.

Done several compression tests, all cly are right at 120, 100 one one revolution, as good or better then the other 2 boats i have which run great.

Problem Cylinders are on Port side, Please explain what removing other head will reveal?

To me if a 2 stroke motor has good compression it means the piston, rings and cylinder are in good shape, What am i missing?

Thanks for your input!!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????---What----Back in 1973 the Johnson / Evinrude outboard ignitions were capable of jumping a 1/2" gap with ease.----That was the required test for an ignition system !!----There is something wrong with your motor and some simple trouble shooting will find it.

webbd

Seaman
If the coils have the correct wires to them, are those wires going to the correct positions under the flywheel? What happens if you swap the low-tension wires for 1 and 3?

-- DW

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post #2 asks about the orange / striped color wires.----And these wires do not go under the flywheel !

webbd

Seaman
racerone, Sorry, I'm thinking the wires to the coils come from the ignition module and the wires from the ignition module come from the pickups under the flywheel. Maybe I don't have this correct. I saw post #2 and also wondered if the cylinders were firing at the wrong time, but assumed there is more than one place where the inputs could be misconnected.

-- DW