Lean sneeze

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My1961 Evinrude 18hp often has a lean sneeze on the first start of the day. The choke can't be feathered, it's either full choke or on choke. It's more like a switch. The lean sneeze only lasts for about a minute then it's gone for the rest of the starts during the day.

The question is,

Can or does a lean sneeze cause engine damage over time?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Make sure the thermostat is installed and not stuck open.------Make sure throttle plate does not open too early.----Just open slow speed needle 1/8 turn at a time to make lean sneeze go away.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
My1961 Evinrude 18hp often has a lean sneeze on the first start of the day. The choke can't be feathered, it's either full choke or on choke. It's more like a switch. The lean sneeze only lasts for about a minute then it's gone for the rest of the starts during the day.

The question is,

Can or does a lean sneeze cause engine damage over time?

If it did, most every two-stroke outboard in America would be toast----including mine.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Somebody should mount a fancy high speed camera in the crankcase.----Might show what is really happening during this " lean sneeze event " on an outboard motor.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
As part of you cold-starting procedure, open the l.s needle 1/4 turn for starting. After a bit of warm up, put it back to the leaner setting for running.