Will this work? Carb Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1982 35Hp Evinrude. E35elcnd but the top part of the carb is toast..

I have a 25hp carb from a 1971 25hp motor.

the top of the carbs are IDENTICAL. With the exception of no Venturi through the throat. And the throttle linkage is a little different.

the high speed jet in the 25 bowL is stamped 72.

the jet from the original carb bowl is stamped 59d.

i was going to swap the jets but the 59d (original to the 35 carb) looks like it has a smaller opening then the 25 carb jet stamped 72.

can I use the 25 carb with the 35 jet and get 35hp out of my motor?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What do you mean by ---no venturi ----In the carburetor throat.----With no venturi a carburetor can not work / function !!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I have a 1982 35Hp Evinrude. E35elcnd but the top part of the carb is toast..

I have a 25hp carb from a 1971 25hp motor.

the top of the carbs are IDENTICAL. With the exception of no Venturi through the throat. And the throttle linkage is a little different.

the high speed jet in the 25 bowL is stamped 72.

the jet from the original carb bowl is stamped 59d.

i was going to swap the jets but the 59d (original to the 35 carb) looks like it has a smaller opening then the 25 carb jet stamped 72.

can I use the 25 carb with the 35 jet and get 35hp out of my motor?

Once again, that old saw comes up. The short answer is NO. The longer answer is absolutely not.

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It has the brass tube coming up from the bowl but does not go all the way up to the low speed passageway.

i would like the long answer to why it wouldn’t work

please remember I’m not trying to make a 35hp from a 25... I’m trying to not buy a new 35hp carb for my 35hp Motor

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And I have a follow up question. If it TRULY wouldn’t work... would a 35/40 hp carb from a newer motor that normal has 2 carbs work?

I ask cause eBay has a bunch of 35/40 carbs but either the top or bottom of a set

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A ---VENTURI-------Is not a brass tube at all !!----Look up to see what a venturi is when it has to do with the basic operation of a carburetor.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The 25 HP carb will surely have less diam fuel passages than the 35 HP carb and if swapping jets the motor will work Awfull !! For peace of mind, how much is a new carb ? Have done experimentations with with next HP carbs models and jets with no positive avail..

Happy Boating

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The 25 HP carb will surely have less diam fuel passages than the 35 HP carb and if swapping jets the motor will work Awfull !! For peace of mind, how much is a new carb ? Have done experimentations with with next HP carbs models and jets with no positive avail..

Happy Boating

Ahh yes sea rider! Something USEFUL!

i Didn’t consider the size of the passegways!

the Top of the carb is just SO SIMILAR! I failed to consider the inner workings!

the one that matches my motor best on eBay is 120 bucks... I’m looking for a parts motor on FB but they are not there or 3 hours away

colonel_sanders

Administrator
Staff member
racerone BlackoutBill21 This boating forum is provided for free for boating enthusiasts to help one another. We expect ALL users to conduct themselves in a manner that adheres to our very simple rules. The rules are clearly outlined in the URL below. If you find that what you are writing is antagonistic, condescending, repetitive or is simply in poor taste then I expect you to refrain from posting.
Thank you,

colonel_sanders

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/407734-attention-forum-rules-attention

Status
Not open for further replies.