Oil inside air silencer cover

redlinj

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1982 evinrude 150. I starts easily and appears to run well. Problem is, there is quite a bit of oil leaking out the base of the air silencer cover, apparently thru the gasket. Taking off the cover I noticed quite an accumulation of oil at the base of the lowest of the 3 carbs. Is this normal or do I have a carb problem?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Not to worry, if it is otherwise ok. That is why they put a drain hose on it to suck the drippage into the intake manifold for burning.

redlinj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Always wondered what that hose was for! Didn’t seem like it was doing a very good job of it however! But thanks for the piece of mind!

redlinj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was always under the impression that the gas/oil mixture burned simultaneously! Where does all this excess oil come from in the first place? How does the oil separate from the gas? Am I missing something? Just seems like something is wrong! Mixture is 50:1. Should I just let a sleeping dog lie!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry to say.-----The whole concept of oil mixed with the gas is much mis-understood.-----Fact ---oil that is burning does NOT lubricate.-----Oil coats all the internal parts to provide lubrication just like in a 4 stroke engine !-----The lubrication oil is introduced to the engine via the oil and not from a sump in the crankcase.-----So yes the oil separates from the gasoline.------------------And are you tilting this engine with carburetors full of fuel ?----That will certainly cause leakage.----Gasoline then evaporates and leaves oil behind.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
What he just said, gasoline evaporates, leaving oil behind.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
:drunk: Even more peace of mind. I just learned a little about how the oil in the gas works too. Thanks Racer!!

webbd

Seaman
My carburetors needle and seat valves were leaking. When I squeezed the primer bulb or ran the engine with the silencer off, fuel/oil mixture would weep up through the emulsion tube into the carburetor throat and when the engine was stopped, would drain forward and leak out. New carb kits and carefully setting the floats pretty much solved this, and also eliminated a bunch of fuel leakage when the engine was raised.

This is not to say that there is zero leakage when the engine is raised, but I don't feel like I'm going to empty my carbs all over the driveway every time I prime and start before heading out on the water.

-- DW

redlinj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, this all makes perfect sense now! I’m sure that the engine is tilted forward which would then explain the fuel leaking out into the silencer! And then, the gas evaporating over time! So would there be any quick and easy solution to this, like maybe disconnecting the fuel like and eliminating the pressure to the carbs? Thanks Mates!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Disconnect fuel line and run carburetors dry.---Or almost dry.----That keeps carburetors from gumming up and avoids leakage when fully tilted during travel on trailer.