1987 Evinrude 110HP starting problems.

Hello everyone!

This forum helped me a lot in the past with this outboard, so, here's another situation:

I assembled this outboard that I found in pieces in a junkyard. It had everything, I assembled it with no problems but those already resolved with the help of this forum. Now the engine won't start. Starter motor is perfect, it does its job. It spins the flywheel and thus, the crankshaft, but it seems no fuel is getting to the cylinders. If I manually open the carburetors flaps and using a syringe spray fuel inside, it starts. But once that fuel is consumed it stops. Spark plugs are working, there's spark in all cylinders. I took the carburetors out and cleaned them again and made sure everything was cleaned and with no obstructions. Disassembled fuel pump to make sure everything is ok and it was. Fuel pump is working.

Sorry for my english. I'm not a native speaker. If you need more info, ask for it and it will be given.

Thanks to all of you for this awesome community!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are you pushing the key in while cranking it over ??-----Is the primer solenoid valve working , yes or no idea ?----Does spark jump a gap of 7/16" , yes or no ??-----Did you take an ohm reading on the starter , armature commutator to the shaft , yes , no or no idea of how important that is ?

It does not have a primer solenoid. Spark jumps at the gap you ask. No, I did not take and ohm reading on the starter. Starter works perfect. But I would appreciate the explanation of the importance.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Is the primer ball getting hard on the fuel line when you pump it up before you try starting the motor? If not, check the screen (filter) inside the fuel tank at the end of the suction line. It may be plugged up. If the ball will not pump hard, it could also be a bad ball, or it is sucking air into the fuel line rather than fuel. If the ball does pump up hard, check your carburator bowls to see that they are full of fuel. If not, you may need to get into the carbs for cleaning &/or rebuilding. Also, pump some of your gas from tyhe fuel tank into a clear glass container and see if there is water in the fuel

Is the primer ball getting hard on the fuel line when you pump it up before you try starting the motor? If not, check the screen (filter) inside the fuel tank at the end of the suction line. It may be plugged up. If the ball will not pump hard, it could also be a bad ball, or it is sucking air into the fuel line rather than fuel. If the ball does pump up hard, check your carburator bowls to see that they are full of fuel. If not, you may need to get into the carbs for cleaning &/or rebuilding. Also, pump some of your gas from tyhe fuel tank into a clear glass container and see if there is water in the fuel

Yes, the primer ball gets hard. Filter is clean. Carbs bowls are full of fuel. Already checked that and cleaned the carbs thoroughly to prevent clogging. Checked fuel for water and it is clean.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No primer solenoid valve ????---The wee thingy with the red lever.-------Are you saying the carburetors on your motor have choke flappers ?----Are you pushing the key in while cranking the motor ?----How do you know the starter is " perfect " if you have not tested it ?

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
if it runs while spraying fuel in (hope theres oil in it. sorry, had to mention it) but not without, sounds like the emulsion tube in the carb is blocked, or the idle circuit is plugged up. did you take all jets out as well as core plugs to make sure everything is clean? didn't forget the little rubber seal grommet in the middle of the carb right? floats set properly according to maual?

No primer solenoid valve ????---The wee thingy with the red lever.-------Are you saying the carburetors on your motor have choke flappers ?----Are you pushing the key in while cranking the motor ?----How do you know the starter is " perfect " if you have not tested it ?

That is correct. No primer solenoid thus, no valve. They have choke flappers. And I can't push the key because there is no key. I'm cranking the engine by just connecting the starter motor to a 12V battery with a switch and a relay between them. And let me correct my statement about the starter motor: I assume it is perfect and its working perfectly because it cranks the engine normally like any starter motor in good conditions would. Nevertheless, when I manually open the carburetors and inject fuel directly with a syringe, it starts perfectly, but as soon as that fuel is used, it stops. Shouldn't it stay functioning? Shouldn't it suck fuel during those 5 to 8 seconds the engine stays on and keep functioning normally?

if it runs while spraying fuel in (hope theres oil in it. sorry, had to mention it) but not without, sounds like the emulsion tube in the carb is blocked, or the idle circuit is plugged up. did you take all jets out as well as core plugs to make sure everything is clean? didn't forget the little rubber seal grommet in the middle of the carb right? floats set properly according to maual?

Yes, the fuel has oil. And yes, I took out all jets and core plugs. Carburetors are totally clean. Regarding that "little rubber seal grommet in the middle of the carb" I'm not sure what are you referring to. Again, sorry for my English. Could you point it out here? https://www.boats.net/catalog/evinrude/outboard-by-year/1987/e110tlcur/carburetor
How do I know floats are setting properly? I don't have access to a Manual. If you could send me a photo of the page I would be grateful.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
So the carburetors are off a 1979 / 1980 model motor.---All bets are of on these types of installations.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
That is correct. No primer solenoid thus, no valve. They have choke flappers. And I can't push the key because there is no key. I'm cranking the engine by just connecting the starter motor to a 12V battery with a switch and a relay between them. And let me correct my statement about the starter motor: I assume it is perfect and its working perfectly because it cranks the engine normally like any starter motor in good conditions would. Nevertheless, when I manually open the carburetors and inject fuel directly with a syringe, it starts perfectly, but as soon as that fuel is used, it stops. Shouldn't it stay functioning? Shouldn't it suck fuel during those 5 to 8 seconds the engine stays on and keep functioning normally?

Yes it should if there is fuel in the carb bowls, IMHO. You stated that you cleaned the carbs. It doesn't sound like the float is opening the little tiny valve inside the carbs to allow the fuel to get into the engine. But it does not seem like that would be the case with more than one carb at a time.

Yes it should if there is fuel in the carb bowls, IMHO. You stated that you cleaned the carbs. It doesn't sound like the float is opening the little tiny valve inside the carbs to allow the fuel to get into the engine. But it does not seem like that would be the case with more than one carb at a time.

Exactly. Why both carbs are going to fail?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry----Your " other world " does not open for me.------Post pictures of you motor / carburetors.----And what motor model do you think your carburetors come off of.

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
if your mixing and matching carbs, i cannot imagine how dangerous that can be. its probably running extremely lean if it needs more fuel like that. the 1987- correct carbs anyway, don't have choke flaps unless its some sort of commercial motor i've never heard of. if you choke the motor, it stays running or picks up rpm that means its running lean. i would advise you to make 100% sure those are the correct carbs. if not, don't run it until you find the right ones and check the jets with the factory specs.

Sorry----Your " other world " does not open for me.------Post pictures of you motor / carburetors.----And what motor model do you think your carburetors come off of.

Yes sir, tomorrow I'll post some pictures for you. I hope those can be of help. I really need this engine to work. Thank you for your time.

if your mixing and matching carbs, i cannot imagine how dangerous that can be. its probably running extremely lean if it needs more fuel like that. the 1987- correct carbs anyway, don't have choke flaps unless its some sort of commercial motor i've never heard of. if you choke the motor, it stays running or picks up rpm that means its running lean. i would advise you to make 100% sure those are the correct carbs. if not, don't run it until you find the right ones and check the jets with the factory specs.

Oh, I'm not mixing and matching anything. Those are the carbs the engine came with when I bought it. This is my first time assembling an Evinrude. Tomorrow I'll post some pictures for you to see the carbs and the whole engine. Thanks for your time and help!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those are NOT the correct carburetors for a 1987 model 110 HP.------Somebody mixed and matched up this motor.----Heck maybe it is not even an 87 model 110 HP.----Pictures and more pictures needed to help YOU figure this motor out.

Oh, I'm not mixing and matching anything. Those are the carbs the engine came with when I bought it. This is my first time assembling an Evinrude. Tomorrow I'll post some pictures for you to see the carbs and the whole engine. Thanks for your time and help!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Bring it over.----I have 20 or more of the V-4 model 90 / 110 / 115 / 140 models for rebuild / parts.----So easy to figure out what has been done !!