New member with Evinrude Sportwin questions

Vingsthing

Recruit
Hello all,
New to the group, just purchased a 1971 Mirrorcraft 14' v-hull with a 1968 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 (model 9822E). The P.O. stated that the last few times he tried to start the engine, it would only start in gear, not in neutral. I don't know a lot about outboard engines but I am very automotive mechanically knowledgeable. Any input on what to look for? Overall the engine looks very clean and I'm looking forward to learning more about it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
See if spark will jump a gap of 1/4" or more.----If that is a no.---Step #1 is to remove the flywheel.------You will find either 2 cracked original coils or 2 new ones already installed.---

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The only way the gearshift is involved is that being in forward allows starting with more throttle advance. Probably trying to start it on one cylinder, as racer suggests.

Vingsthing

Recruit
Ok folks, all good advice so far. Trying to pull off the flywheel and it wont budge. Sprayed lubricants on the shaft and letting it soak while keeping pressure on the bolt grip puller. I've torn down dozens of auto engines and haven't had this kind if stuck part lol. Dont want to pry on anything, may hit the shaft and flywheel with a heat gun tomorrow to see if that helps unless you all have some super tricks I'm missing

racerone

Supreme Mariner
With the proper puller using 3 bolts ( 1/4--20 ) these flywheel pop right off.---No need for any magic spray stuff.----And don't use any heat either !