Carb Jets 1979 75hp Evinrude/ Boyseen reeds Advice

judah34

Cadet
So I gave up on my 1976 Johnson 70hp. I purchased a 1979 Evinrude 75hp. I want to put my Boyseen carbon reeds in the new outboard. ON the 70hp I went up 2 sizes on the slow jet per instructions.

The 75hp has 3 jets High/Slow/Idle. Does anyone know should I richen the slow jet like before or richen the idle jets (angled top of carb) and if so are those idle orifices metering fuel or air?

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
if it's and exposed orifice, it's for air. who told you to richen the jets for reeds? i've installed many fiber reeds and never went up any sizes. if you put say a 75hp head on a 70hp then i'd say yes go up a size or 2 on the mains, ditto for removing air silencer. hate to say this, but the 75hp only has power on top end. the 70hp had alot more low-end grunt. hope its on a light boat youll see what i mean!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The low speed orifice needs to be richer by 2 sizes. This prevents lean sneezes from blowing out the reeds. I would leave the original reeds in because Boyesen reeds will provide a negligible improvement.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Saw a set of composite reed buckled / damaged on a V-6 one time.------They did install composite reeds at the factory at one time.----But they had a note stating ----" these reeds have a limited life / number of hours at continuous full throttle operation "

judah34

Cadet
Thanks Folks, I already have the reeds so I figured why not. replace the steel ones that are most likely originals from 1979. Motor is going on a 800lb boat so not too worried yet.

I am just following the directions from Boyseen. But the 3rd jet top side of the carb made me confused. Maybe some CCMS with stuffers? I have heard no jetting needed.

ct1762@gmail.com

The low speed orifice needs to be richer by 2 sizes. This prevents lean sneezes from blowing out the reeds. I would leave the original reeds in because Boyesen reeds will provide a negligible improvement.

Why would you need to go up 2 sizes on Boyesens, and not on CCMS reeds? Only every installed CCMS. assumed composite reeds were all similar ie. not different enough to warrant an orifice change?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The Boyensen reeds will be lucky to live 2 years before splitting or breaking. Chris's (CCMS) or Tony's(TDR) ae bolt in and go and new had a problem with em

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Why would you need to go up 2 sizes on Boyesens, and not on CCMS reeds? Only every installed CCMS. assumed composite reeds were all similar ie. not different enough to warrant an orifice change?

Boyesen Reeds are 2 stage reeds, there is a thin one for low speed improvement and a thicker section which lifts at high speed. The thinner one is VERY easy to damage and a lean sneeze will blow it right out. The CC reeds are a direct replacement for the steel reeds so they are thicker and one piece.

ct1762@gmail.com

ohh makes sense now. didn't realize that's how the Boyesen's were designed. seems a bit more delicate.