1999 Johnson J90PLEEB O ring and VRO Question

chubb44850

Cadet
First question: Is there an easy way to replace the two o rings in the housing top of the gear shifter shaft in the lower unit? It is trying to beat me!!!!
Second Question: I am going to change out the VRO fuel pump for a straight gas fuel pump. Any suggestions or tips? I would like to remove the oil storage tank, without destroying it, but the winged knobs just spin. They seem to be spring loaded but I can't figure out the removal sequence. HELP!!! Thank you.
Carter

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Carter,. On my motor, the cover swelled and caused the shift shaft to bind. A new cover for the shift shaft will have new Orings installed.

The maxrules web site will recommend a fuel pump to replace your OMS pump.

chubb44850

Cadet
Thank you. You saved me $240 on a fuel pump. I will use my savings to buy new shift shaft cover.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Clean the corrosion out of the shift cover bore and grooves----Takes just minutes to do..----Install new o-rings and save your money.

emoney

Commander
Not much to "know" about switching to a standard fuel pump other than to make sure you get the right one, lol. I used the brackets that came with it for the conversion I did on my old 130.