Too Much Smoke

ecc1

Recruit
I apologize if this is double posted- newbie to forum.

Bottom Line Up Front:
before carb rebuild, had normal smoke at idle
after carb rebuild and careful tuning per OEM manual, excessive smoke at idle, but runs great.
What's the problem? careful to measure 50:1 and carb needles are about 3/4-7/8 turn out.
Details below.
thank you!

Am stumped on what seems to be an easy fix Evinrude 50 HP EVINRUDE 1993 VE50BELETB

Motor is a great runner.
It's life is putt, putt, putt, on back of a pontoon.
Smoked a little at idle, which is a good thing. No smoke at higher rpm.
But, motor started to die at idle mid summer.

Rebuilt fuel pump. No joy.
Replaced primer bulb, then connectors, then hose on tank-to-motor supply line. No joy.

Removed and inspected carbs-nice and clean. But did fine one of the coned, core plugs was loose in the bowl, lower carb. Went ahead and rebuilt carbs w/ new rubber gaskets, jets, etc.

Tuned the carbs, timing, idle etc. per OEM manual.
Low idle needles are about 3/4 turn out each. this seemed low per spec, but was close to what the previous settings were prior to motor issues.

Now, purrs like a kitten, runs like a top, but
much more smoke at idle than before this incident, and
"seems" to consume more fuel.

Bulk of exhaust smoke comes from the rear exhaust port above water line which also spits water (normal)
Solid stream of water from outlet pigtail (normal).
Some but little smoke emerges from the water surface from the exhaust coming thru the prop hub.

Mixture Ratio:
Carefully measured fuel to oil of 50:1.
Used same Valvoline synthetic -w3 oil as before (w3 is smoke level?)

Idle settings too rich:
Readjusted low idle needles on carb a bit to see if it changed the smoke level- no joy. Reset them back around 3/4 turn each to return the motor back to purr at idle.

Gasket leak between power head and inner exhaust housing:
I would expect to hear a loud exhaust noise and also smoke from inside the engine cowling- nonesuch.

Exhaust relief baffle leak:
blue smoke and water spittle coming from the exhaust grommet (normal)

Well you can see I am grasping at straws here.

I'll buy craft beer for good advise; maybe commodity beer one for some decent advise; and a light beer for any advise.

Thanx in advance and best regards,

signed ...in a daze and cloud of smoke here in Central Pennsylvania

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
When you pre-mix oil with gas for your outboard, it is going to smoke. The oil is being burnt, and the smoke is normal. You are probably noticing more smoke now that the carbs & fuel pump have been rebuilt due to the gas being burnt instead of expelled out of the exhaust without being fully burnt. Oil smokes when it burns, and its in the fuel on a two cycle engine.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Yep as above. If it was too smoky oily your plugs would foul. You could compare the plugs to see if one is way more carboned than the other

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Is it running hot at any point? Cylinder head too hot to touch?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Is that a converted VRO system -- maybe oiling side not disconnected when going to premix (oil line and harness).

ecc1

Recruit
Gentlemen- thank you for your replies. Sounds like the smoke, alot, is still normal.
I will check the plugs and head temp next time I get out on the water.
The weather went from 90 to 55 last weekend like it saw a state trooper.
But hope to get back on the boat later this week.
Regards,

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The smoke and reason for it , and lubrication in a 2 stroke is not well understood.----Perhaps your local boat shop has oil that smokes less.-----Try some I say.

ecc1

Recruit
View attachment spark plugs.docx Update: motor is running well, but still too much smoke.
-cleaned the electric primer thinking that it might have been partially stuck allowing excess fuel. No problem there.
-head is warm to touch, not hot
-plugs are a bit dark, but not goopy (after about 10 hrs of use, 95% of that time at idle in gear)
-at idle, i closed off the idle jet completely on each carb, one at a time. That should kill the engine, or at least cause a stumble- there was no change in idle for either carb.

Conclusion:
I'm getting extra fuel somewhere into the mixture.....duh!
Interesting that it is both carbs, not just one carb (Idle jet test).

Next action- off with the carbs to recheck the float levels and float shut off needle/seats.
-make sure a didn't leave the nylon washers off the float needle seat.,
-or rubber washers off the pick up tubes, and
reclean the small holes in the idle circuits.

If you have any ideas why it seems to be both carbs, I would appreciate your remarks.
Thank you!

Oh, fellow boaters are complaining about mosquitoes on the lake, but we don't seem to be bothered.
Signed, too much smoke in PA

ecc1

Recruit
UPDATE PROBLEM SOLVED
Reed (finger) valves replaced.

Johnson Evinrude Power Reed Kit 50 Hp 2 Cylinder 1971-2005 Boyesen 124​

Back to normal smoke at idle.
Thank you for all the inputs.