56 Johnson Javelin, new battery but won't do a thing

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Give us a report after you go check it out. Now you know what I put up with for 50 years. But I loved every minute of it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fact--------Most folks today are limited to ----" I push this button and the car starts "-----They have no technical knowledge on how to operate simple older technology.

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class
I definitely will update you all. This is the most frustrating engine...one step forward and two steps back.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is also a very simple engine if you understand the basics and " motor speak " so to say.

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class
I went out to her lake lot yesterday to see if I could figure anything out while it was on land. I made sure I'd reattached the throttle controls properly (I had) and that they extended fully when the throttle was pushed all the way forward (they did). I pulled the spark plugs (they were new ones when I gave the boat to her) and they seemed extra oily. I know I mixed up the right proportions of gas and 2 cycle oil when I filled the tank and she hadn't added any new fuel so I was surprised to see them oily. I wiped them down and reinserted. Maybe from her running it at slow speeds for awhile? I took off the faceplate and adjusted the high speed needle as told by you all. Then I was going to hook her up to my vehicle to tow her down to the marina where I could fill my water barrel and test it out of the water before actually lowering it into the lake. But it was on a steep hill and I just couldn't get it close enough by myself to get it hooked up to my hitch. I had my vehicle within 3 inches of it and needed to pull the boat forward and up to drop it on the ball. If it were on level ground that would be no problem but on the hill, I just couldn't do it with the jack all the way up and the motor pulling downhill. The mosquitos were eating me up so I called it a day. They are going to the lake this weekend and her dad will be there to tow it to the marina. I told her to give me a call when they got it there and I'll come back over. So I set the high speed needle from closed to 3/4 turn out. How am I supposed to set the other one?

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i know i'm late to this, but you WILL get shocked doing a drop test by touching the motor (your body acts as the new ground). also, wearing sneakers vs. sandals grounds you better. dont ask how i know this lol

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
i know i'm late to this, but you WILL get shocked doing a drop test by touching the motor (your body acts as the new ground). also, wearing sneakers vs. sandals grounds you better. dont ask how i know this lol

Yeah, thats why I posted earlier to use the spark plug pliers, but I haven't used them in years. Doing it carefully you don't get shocked unless the wires are bad to begin with. At work I work in slip on shoes, shorts and a t-shirt. If you get shocked its a lesson for sure.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
WELL, ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

boobie

Supreme Mariner
What ever happened to you ?????????????????????????????????????????????

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class
What ever happened to you ?????????????????????????????????????????????
Hello everyone! I'm SO SORRY I left you all hanging, I truly am. You've all been so wonderful to me and I apologize for that. My son got married in Kansas and I was out there prepping for that for a couple weeks and now my daughter will be getting married in a couple months and I'm on to that task. (Can you say BROKE PARENTS???) As far as the old beast of a motor, alas I have no further update at this point. The lake closed at the end of October so they had to take the boat back home. Her husband said he will tinker with it when weather allows but without a heated garage and having to use a barrel to test it, I would imagine that nothing will happen until Spring. They have two people who know 2 stroke engines somewhat who are willing to help. Also there is a marine shop about an hour from here and they said if worse came to worse, they would take it there to have it worked on. I said I wasn't sure that anyone professional around here worked on motors that old but they said that when they stopped in there for something else, they saw several vintage motors and the guy said that yes, they do. So it sounds like the motor is in good (younger lol) hands with it's new family. I promise I will update you in the Spring when the lake opens back up and they move forward on getting her going again. Until then, stay warm, stay healthy and stay safe. Keep on boating. And thank you from the bottom of my heart for the years of support and amazing knowledge (and patience) you have shared with me. :)

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the come back Kathy and will look for you in the spring. See you then and have a good winter. Boobie.