Looking for advice- 65ESL72 issues

GrizzleDizzle

Seaman Apprentice
The holes in the gasket appear to line up perfectly with the holes in the pump housing...makes me think it probably goes between the housing and the plate? Since the gasket was under the plate before, that might help explain why the impeller failed so spectacularly?

The housing I pulled out off my motor is stamped 383663, but when I search that part online I can’t find any reference to my motor. Makes me wonder if someone before me tried to use the wrong part?

At any rate, can’t say I’m thrilled to see that the replacement kit is 200 bucks 😝

Attachments

• photo340381.jpg
    photo340381.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 0

GrizzleDizzle

Seaman Apprentice
Here we have an interesting kit.----A gasket that does not match the bottom pump plate.-----No hole in the plate.----But earlier 3 cylinder versions did use a plate with a hole.------So a somewhat universal kit.-----That factory kit if available would have instructions.----I say gasket fits underneath the plate.----I have seen a number of badly damaged impellers this season.-----I think there are still some folks out there that think you can run an impeller dry !!!

Well I’ve only had this motor for a couple of months now, and definitely only ran it on muffs or in the lake...but who knows what happened before I bought it. This motor doesn’t have a true pee hole, so I was under the impression it was pumping water because there was some water flowing out. This is my first boat and motor- so I’m learning as I go. In retrospect I would definitely have checked the impeller before putting this thing in the water!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The way I see it.-----Many sellers with the boat at the end of the driveway will start up an outboard without water.------Will say --" Only going to start it momentarily , motor won't overheat "----After the 10th time the impeller is done.-----Then the eventual buyer has the issue you now face !!----Have you checked the overheat horn ( post #3 ) of a while ago??

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??----Read my posts carefully.---Yes the bolt holes will line up perfectly !!------What about the other holes in the gasket and the pump plate ?

GrizzleDizzle

Seaman Apprentice
The way I see it.-----Many sellers with the boat at the end of the driveway will start up an outboard without water.------Will say --" Only going to start it momentarily , motor won't overheat "----After the 10th time the impeller is done.-----Then the eventual buyer has the issue you now face !!----Have you checked the overheat horn ( post #3 ) of a while ago??

Haven’t checked the horn yet but it’s definitely next on the list. But aside from starting it briefly to test my carb rebuilds I haven’t had it running. Since I realized that the exhaust gaskets had probably failed I’ve been spending the majority of my free time reading up on how to replace them.

GrizzleDizzle

Seaman Apprentice
??----Read my posts carefully.---Yes the bolt holes will line up perfectly !!------What about the other holes in the gasket and the pump plate ?

I was just observing that the larger hole in the gasket between the bolt holes seem to line up with the hole in the pump housing. Obviously hard to tell for sure without seeing them in person (or seeing instructions).

Attachments

• photo340383.jpg
    photo340383.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 0

GrizzleDizzle

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry Racer, am I missing something?

I’m sure I’ll get it figured out. Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.

GrizzleDizzle

Seaman Apprentice
Ok. I’ve been doing some reading and found that it’s pretty common for these impeller plates to have gaskets placed underneath. So that’s most likely what I’ll end up doing unless I see something to convince me otherwise.

Racerone- just wanted to make something clear because you obviously became frustrated with me. As I said earlier, I am as much a novice at all of this as anyone can possibly be. I’m also new to the forum and truly appreciate all the great advice I’ve received in that short time. I also really enjoy the process of thinking out loud, making observations and problem solving, which is what I was doing earlier in the post when discussing the placement of the gasket. I wasn’t questioning anyone else’s expertise.

Having said all that— of course nobody is obligated to weigh in on these forums. Thanks to all who have offered their advice as well as those who may in the future. I really think this site is fantastic 👍🏻

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some folks do not like my style of teaching and appear to be offended when I try to correct them.----When I went to school marks were deducted when you were wrong.---Teachers told you that you were wrong.----Times are changing and not for the better !!

GrizzleDizzle

Seaman Apprentice
Well I certainly wasn’t offended. But I know what you’re saying, I run into that myself in some ways. I’ve been a research scientist for 20 years, and I’m used to openly questioning things and making observations. If something doesn’t sound right to me, I have to talk through it until it does. Some habits die hard.

It doesn’t cause problems at work because we’re all that way- but outsiders can take it the wrong way at times !

Anyway, thanks for hearing me out.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
MOD EDIT - Now children! Behave yourselves!

Last edited by a moderator:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many years ago a young bartender mentioned that she was looking into a career move.----Wanted to be a helicopter pilot.----I asked if she knew about --" bernouli's principle "----She said " what is that " ?----I suggested that she look it up.-----A few days later she said ----" thank you very much , I looked it up and that would be a good thing to know if I want to be a pilot "

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Grizzle - Sorry about the interruption of your thread. Recently it's been said remote learning works. I question that when my ruler broke in two when I shoved it in a USB port to rap some knuckles.

I can't offer any help with your impeller, Mercs don't have issues like this. :watermelon: Good luck and keep asking questions.

webbd

Seaman
I didn't read all of the posts, and I apologize if someone else already answered this or if I am completely off.

What I understood is that it runs okay for a bit, and then dies.

Here's what Mr. DeJarnett from my 1984 auto shop class beat into my head: Compression, Ignition, Carburetion, in that order.

Check the compression. Hopefully you didn't have a mechanical failure that's ruining your day. If it's pushing water out the spit tube, that's also a good sign your cooling system is doing something, if not its job. You might want to also check the thermostat to make sure it opens when hot.

Ignition is what I'm thinking. Coils go bad. I've had it happen on my motorcycle and my boat, and it runs fine for a while, then the coils heat up and they work for nothing. Get a spark tester and check spark when it's not behaving, or test the resistance on the coils when they're hot.

Carburetion could be water in the gas. It can ruin your day. If you don't have a water-separating fuel filter, it could make the difference, Even if the problem is elsewhere, a water-separating fuel filter will keep bad gas out of your carburetors.

My motor has a fuel filter behind the VRO on the port side of the engine. If you think it might be clogged, they're cheap to replace.

--DW

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It's good that you ordered those exhaust gaskets. If the previous owner ran it with that bad impeller, he warped the inner exhaust cover plate and it is squirting water into a cylinder(s). Just gaskets alone won't fix the warped plate.

Attachments

• photo290973.jpg
    photo290973.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 0